Kevin Fischer is a veteran broadcaster, the recipient of over 150 major journalism awards from the Milwaukee Press Club, the Wisconsin Associated Press, the Northwest Broadcast News Association, the Wisconsin Bar Association, and others. He has been seen and heard on Milwaukee TV and radio stations for over three decades. A longtime aide to state Senate Republicans in the Wisconsin Legislature, Kevin can be seen offering his views on the news on the public affairs program, "InterCHANGE," on Milwaukee Public Television Channel 10, and heard filling in on Newstalk 1130 WISN. He lives with his wife, Jennifer, and their lovely baby daughter, Kyla Audrey, in Franklin.
1. No brainer - DO NOT sign the petition if you disagree with these recalls of the Governor, Lt. Governor and/or the Senator you are being asked to sign for.
2. VERY IMPORTANT - DO NOT think you’re being crafty by signing a phony name, address, or whatever so that you can have your signature thrown out once it is validated. This is for a few reasons. The WI GAB only files the names and lists. It’s up to the person(s) being recalled to validate the signatures. You will just be making more work for these people to verify these signatures. In the cases of the Gov. and Lt. Gov., there will be more than 700,000 signatures that will have to be validated and more than likely the phony signature will be missed. Finally, it is illegal. If someone finds out, you can get in trouble.
3. DO NOT get crafty and take out a petition to get signatures and only to then throw them away. Once again, it is illegal.
4. Ask for I.D. If the name on the I.D. does not match the name at the top of the petition sheet, remember the name and report to authorities. It is illegal for a petitioner to circulate a petition that does not have their name at the top of the petition.
5. DO NOT grab a petition from the petitioner and rip it up. It is illegal and there are reports that some of these instances have already been reported as a felony! Get that, a felony! But, bullying of the Governor, Senators and others on our side are being treated as a ticketed offense. Charges were just dropped by the Madison ADA for the death threat to the Governor by Reagan somebody or other yesterday. But, ripping up a petition is a felony?
6. If you hear of someone signing petitions many times or multiple sheets, try to get their name and report it. It is ILLEGAL to sign more than once for one recall.
One can report any illegal or bullying or thug-type activity witnessed. Try to get as much factual information as possible and names are very useful and report it here: http://www.recallintegritycenter.com as well as calling the police.
Don’t forget, police are unionized and, depending on the county or city, they have varying degrees of sympathy for these recalls.
Right now, it is being reported that this movement is very weak because only 7-15% of our population has been “harmed” by the Governor’s reforms. The other 85% of us are benefitting GREATLY from these reforms. You can do your own digging to find out why. But, because the movement is starting out weak, does not mean it won’t get stronger. There are many reports of many, many agencies outside of the state coming into
1. Ask why they want to see
2. Inform them about the many positive things that have come out of these reforms.
3. Occupy their time a bit. Keep them for 1, 2, 3 or more minutes and talk to them if you can. The more time they spend with you, the less time they have to keep walking and soliciting other signatures.
4. Ask to see their I.D. If they’re from out of state, ask why they think they can affect our state laws?
5. Anything else you can think of to educate, isolate and inform these petitioners will be a win for us. Get them thinking. Most of these people circulating petitions are not ‘politically motivated.’ You may not change their thinking at that moment, but once these people get into their working years, have a family and start owning things, maybe what you said way back when will be validated. Of course, these will be people outside of current Wisconsin Government workers who are circulating petitions.
6. Above all else, be cordial with these people even if your blood is boiling. Let them know who you really are and why you believe what you believe. BE NICE! Right now, most are ignorant and if you get ‘angry’ or rant at them, it will only solidify their ideology.