Greendale's Plan Commission on Wednesday gave unanimous preliminary plan approval to Macy's request to renovate space for a two-level department store at Southridge Mall and to Walmart's request to build a new-concept neighborhood retail store at the former U.S. Bowling Congress site, 5301 S. 76th St.
The projects will come before the Board of Trustees on June 21, when the extended Walmart public hearing also will take place.
Preliminary plans for both projects included exterior architectural details and how the structures would fit into their respective business neighborhoods from the perspective of signage, lighting and access. Walmart's plan included rezoning just under two acres of adjoining property that will be acquired from Martin Luther High School, 5201 S. 76th St.
"I'm very pleased with the progress of these projects so far," said Village President John Hermes. "Both of these projects have a regional impact. There are more projects to come. Stay tuned."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- Greendale Community Theatre's 'Spring Awakening' to address teenage issues, self-discovery
- Greendale's 2015 budget includes 1.2 percent increase in tax levy
- Greendale police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- Greendale police report: Dec. 4, 2014 issue
- Greendale police report: Nov. 27, 2014 issue
- Have a 'Dickens of a Christmas' in Greendale on December 5
- Greendale School Board to host special meeting for potential spring election candidates
- Greendale goes Emerald: High School Marching Band earns honors for Oz-based production
- American flags raised in support of veterans memorial to be removed during Greendale ceremony