The Greendale Visitors Center has had its fun with its successful corn-growing contest, but when a shortage of seed threatened to turn smiles into frowns, something had to be done.
So the center planted a new idea: A Corny Joke Contest, complete with prizes to match the overly successful Tall Corn Contest.
The visitors center said the response to the initial corn contest was so enthusiastic - following publicity that included separate articles in both the Journal Sentinel and NOW Newspapers - that the supply of $1 seed packets was quickly plowed under by the growing demand last week.
Even an extra 200 packets of seed shipped from Iowa wasn't enough to offset the corn stalkers.
When more than one guest suggested the shortage was no laughing matter, that gave staff members an idea, which quickly grew into signs announcing the corny joke contest. To enter, patrons must deliver their jokes in person to the Greendale Visitors Center, 5602 Broad St. More information on the contest is available there.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cookout, football game to follow Greendale Homecoming Parade
- Greendale Village Board shifts opinion, approves funding for Hose Tower completion
- Greendale School District approves lower tax levy for 2014-15
- Greendale Police Report: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Greendale officials to look at TIF option for redeveloping apartment complex
- Greendale's historic Hose Tower funding dries up, for now
- Greendale Police Report: Sept. 11, 2014 issue
- Greendale Police Report: Sept. 4, 2014 issue
- Greendale trustees rescind school polling place referendum
- Greendale Police Report: Aug. 28, 2014 issue