Greenfield - A Greendale woman who had a detectible amount of marijuana in her system and was texting shortly before she hit a pedestrian in Greenfield has been charged in his death.
Josephine Sardina, 31, is charged with homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle.
Legally, even a trace of marijuana can trigger a charge of intoxication. Sardina admitted to police that she smokes marijuana to relieve back problems, according to the complaint filed by the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.
The victim, David Budge, 59, of South Milwaukee, was struck in the 4500 block of Loomis Road about 3 p.m. Oct. 15.
According to the complaint, police found that Sardina had called 911 about 3:02 p.m. from her cellphone. Texting is suspected as having played a role because she had sent a text message at 2:58 p.m. and received a text message about 3 p.m., only moments before the accident, the complaint said.
Sardina told police that she was probably only going 30 mph when the accident happened, because she was slowing down to turn into a gas station. However, Budge was hit in the parking lane, meaning the Sardina's car must have veered from her lane, the complaint said.
After hearing a thud and feeling an impact, she said she ran back to the victim. She could detect no pulse, she told police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale Education Foundation announces new calendar raffle fundraiser
- Greendale's Park and Recreation holds contest for new logo
- Greendale police searching for strong-arm robbery suspect
- Greendale police report: Aug. 27, 2015 issue
- Honeywell volunteers help repair Greendale veteran's home
- Greendale residents can receive free 'File of Life' documents from Health Department
- Greendale to share fire ladder truck with Hales Corners during emergencies (1)
- Greendale Fire Dept. approved for temporary relocation in safety center basement, village seeks bids (1)
- Greendale police report: Aug. 20, 2015 issue
- Chromebooks add gleam to school year in Greendale