Greenfield - A Greendale woman who had a detectible amount of marijuana in her system and was texting shortly before she hit a pedestrian in Greenfield has been charged in his death.
Josephine Sardina, 31, is charged with homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle.
Legally, even a trace of marijuana can trigger a charge of intoxication. Sardina admitted to police that she smokes marijuana to relieve back problems, according to the complaint filed by the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.
The victim, David Budge, 59, of South Milwaukee, was struck in the 4500 block of Loomis Road about 3 p.m. Oct. 15.
According to the complaint, police found that Sardina had called 911 about 3:02 p.m. from her cellphone. Texting is suspected as having played a role because she had sent a text message at 2:58 p.m. and received a text message about 3 p.m., only moments before the accident, the complaint said.
Sardina told police that she was probably only going 30 mph when the accident happened, because she was slowing down to turn into a gas station. However, Budge was hit in the parking lane, meaning the Sardina's car must have veered from her lane, the complaint said.
After hearing a thud and feeling an impact, she said she ran back to the victim. She could detect no pulse, she told police.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- Greendale Community Theatre's 'Spring Awakening' to address teenage issues, self-discovery
- Greendale's 2015 budget includes 1.2 percent increase in tax levy
- Greendale police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- Greendale police report: Dec. 4, 2014 issue
- Greendale police report: Nov. 27, 2014 issue
- Have a 'Dickens of a Christmas' in Greendale on December 5
- Greendale School Board to host special meeting for potential spring election candidates
- Greendale goes Emerald: High School Marching Band earns honors for Oz-based production
- American flags raised in support of veterans memorial to be removed during Greendale ceremony