Hales Corners - The village is bracing itself for the impending invasion of emerald ash borer, an invasive insect known to destroy ash trees.
The Committee of the Whole approved a motion to update the village tree inventory and develop a strategy to deal with the infestation when it comes.
Although there are no official reports of EAB in the village, Village Manager Michael Weber said it is just a matter of time before the bug is found in Hales Corners.
"In all likelihood they're already here," he said.
The village has ash trees in its parks and public rights of way. Village staff members will count the total number of trees and decide what to do with them in preparation for the insect's arrival.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale's Reading Buddies program connects first-graders with dedicated adult volunteers
- Greendale police report: Oct. 8, 2015 issue
- Senior Jacob Malinowski becomes first Greendale student to attend Boys Nation (1)
- Greendale library director to interview familiar mystery writer
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Greendale Gallery Night set for Oct. 16
- Greendale officially opens historic Hose Tower, new community center Oct. 25 (4)
- Greendale police report: Oct. 1, 2015 issue (1)
- Umbrella-wielding man prompts lockdown at Greendale school
- Greendale police report: Sept. 24, 2015 issue