Hales Corners - The village is bracing itself for the impending invasion of emerald ash borer, an invasive insect known to destroy ash trees.
The Committee of the Whole approved a motion to update the village tree inventory and develop a strategy to deal with the infestation when it comes.
Although there are no official reports of EAB in the village, Village Manager Michael Weber said it is just a matter of time before the bug is found in Hales Corners.
"In all likelihood they're already here," he said.
The village has ash trees in its parks and public rights of way. Village staff members will count the total number of trees and decide what to do with them in preparation for the insect's arrival.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- YEA! Greendale student program seeks additional business partners
- Milwaukee County Historical Society to host Trimborn Heritage Weekend
- Greendale Marching Band to be featured in Colder's commercial
- Greendale students wage an artful war
- Greendale police report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Greendale police report: May 14, 2015 issue
- Greendale police report: May 7, 2015 issue
- Spring into Greendale event to be held May 9
- Greendale High School Marching Band earns spot in Macy's prestigious parade (1)
- Greendale voters approve transfer of school district property to village for proposed vet memorial (2)