Greendale - The school district will host its third annual NOURISH-Mind, Body and Environment Expo on May 11 at Greendale High School, 6801 Southway.
The family-friendly event will begin with a 5-kilometer run and walk at 10 a.m., includes a keynote address on healthy living at 11:15 a.m. and features healthy lunches served by high school culinary students from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
The expo opens at noon. There will be a bike helmet demonstration and giveaway, vendors, resource tables, exhibits and other activities related to living a healthy and environmentally friendly lifestyle. The event is open to the public; admission is free.
Advance registration is requested. For a $10 donation, participants will receive a free T-shirt. Donations will benefit SAVE-Suicide Awareness Voices of Education, one of the nation's first organizations dedicated to the prevention of suicide and a co-founding member of the National Council for Suicide Prevention.
Greendale High School Pro-Start Culinary Arts students will prepare and serve healthful lunches for a nominal fee. Menu items will be prepared using ingredients made or grown within 150 miles of the village. Money raised from the café will benefit Hunger Task Force of Milwaukee.
Betty Holloway, owner of Nutriphoria, will make the keynote address "Food in the Fast Lane" at 11:15 a.m. Her presentation will address healthy eating for the fast-paced family and will offer tips and strategies for making better choices when eating out, healthy office eating and helping children develop healthy eating habits.
This year's expo participants include AAA Driver Training, Accelerated Rehabilitation Centers, Alzheimer's Association, Animal Doctor-Muskego, Aurora EAP, Aurora Sleep Medicine Center, Beehive Alchemy, Beyond Organic, Family Caregiver Support Network-Interfaith Older Adult Program, Friends of Wehr Nature Center, Go Earth a World of Gifts-Fair Trade, Goodwill, Greendale Health Department, Greendale Wellness Center, Health and Wellness Options, LLC., L'BRI Pure n' Natural, Pura Vida - Milwaukee, Sweet Water-The Southeastern Wisconsin Watersheds Trust, UnitedHealthcare, and W.O.W. Home Fitness. Demonstrations and interactive displays on healthy cooking, gardening, water quality, renewable energy and other topics will be featured throughout the day.
Guests are asked to register online at www.greendale.k12.wi.us/nourish for the various activities.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale School Board Academy to be held for prospective spring election candidates
- Greendale police report: Nov. 26, 2015 issue
- Greendale trustees raise tax levy 1 percent, bump up budget by 45 percent to construct fire station (4)
- Greendale police report: Nov. 19, 2015 issue
- Greendale's first fire engine, which entered service in 1938, returns home (10)
- Greendale Marching Band holds fundraiser for parade trip
- Greendale Assessor's Office to photograph homes, businesses for 2016 study (2)
- Greendale police report: Nov. 12, 2015 issue
- Greendale's tree lighting ceremony scheduled for Nov. 27
- Santa Claus to arrive early at Southridge Mall this weekend