Greendale — Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele and the County Parks Department are calling for a beer garden at Scout Lake Park pavilion in Greendale.
The Parks Department estimates a beer garden could produce significant revenue — $80,000 in 2014 and $100,000 in 2015.
It would offer a number of beer and wine options in addition to food and non-alcoholic drinks. The garden would operate daily from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and not serve alcohol past 9 p.m.
Under the proposal, ABC Estabrook, the company that runs the beer garden at Estabrook Park, would run the Greendale beer garden.
"We've had a lot of success at the Estabrook Beer Garden, and the attendance is huge," Abele said. "And whenever you can generate revenue through these opportunities within the parks, you're also reducing dependence on tax dollars."
The Estabrook Beer Garden, located at 4600 Estabrook Drive in Milwaukee, is modeled after beer gardens in modern-day Munich, Germany.
Hans Weisgerber III, managing director of ABC Estabrook, proposes a similar concept for the Greendale beer garden.
"Our ultimate goal is to create an environment that seamlessly integrates with the surrounding parkland, providing an opportunity for people from all walks of life to come together in an inclusive social setting," a news release quotes Wesigerber as stating.
Village officials haven't seen a formal presentation of plans yet, but the Plan Commission is expected to get a look at them at a future meeting.
"The concept plans they described were interesting, exciting," Village Manager Todd Michaels said. "(The Scout Lake Pavilion) is very under-utilized so it would be nice to see some use out of it. The garden will definitely help renovate it and (the location) will be perfect for what they're doing."
Abele made the recommendation to the County Board on Jan. 16. If the proposal is approved, the beer garden will open this summer.
WHAT: proposal to open a beer garden at Scout Lake Park in Greendale
WHO: Milwaukee County Board
CONTACT: For information, call the Parks Department at (414) 257-7275 or County Executive Chris Abele's office at (414) 278-4211.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale School Board Academy to be held for prospective spring election candidates
- Greendale police report: Nov. 26, 2015 issue
- Greendale trustees raise tax levy 1 percent, bump up budget by 45 percent to construct fire station (4)
- Greendale police report: Nov. 19, 2015 issue
- Greendale's first fire engine, which entered service in 1938, returns home (10)
- Greendale Marching Band holds fundraiser for parade trip
- Greendale Assessor's Office to photograph homes, businesses for 2016 study (2)
- Greendale police report: Nov. 12, 2015 issue
- Greendale's tree lighting ceremony scheduled for Nov. 27
- Santa Claus to arrive early at Southridge Mall this weekend