Greendale — Greendale High School will host its fifth annual benefit concert, Music to Feed the Hungry, Feb. 7.
The benefit concert, organized by a committee of 10 students, will raise money for the Hunger Task Force, a nonprofit organization that feeds Milwaukee's hungry.
"(Hunger Task Force) does a lot to recognize the need of people here," committee co-chairman Kirstan Brodie, a senior, said. "(Hunger) is a problem right here in Milwaukee; it's right in front of us, and there's just so much for us to do."
Brodie has been involved with the annual benefit concert since its 2010 inception, when she was in eighth-grade.
Previous benefit concerts have raised a total of $3,000 for causes ranging from relief in Haiti to making clean water available worldwide. This year's concert will be the second time the school has raised money for the Hunger Task Force.
"The concert is entirely student-run," Assistant Principal Mark Otto said. "All the ideas, food, auditions — that's entirely by them."
Auditions were held and 20 acts were chosen for the concert.
"It's nice that we can be creative with the event," said sophomore Adam Loeffler, who serves as the concert's event organizer. "We all just help out and get done what needs to be done."
This year, a spaghetti dinner will be served as well, Loeffler said.
"We're taking a big step forward with the dinner, and we're excited to see where (the concert) goes from here," he said.
If you go
WHAT: Music to Feed the Hungry
WHEN: 5:30 p.m. Feb. 7 (doors open at 5 p.m.)
WHERE: Greendale High School, 6801 Southway
TICKETS: $5, available at SeatYourself.biz/greendalehs
THE LINEUP: spaghetti dinner followed by performances
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale's College Park Elementary named a 'School of Recognition' by DPI
- Southridge Mall to host sing-a-thon with Sophia's Heart choir for Valentine's Day weekend
- The Rock Snow Park to host snow tubing fundraiser for Greendale Marching Band
- Greendale police report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- Greendale High School holds first induction ceremony to new Athletic Hall of Fame
- Greendale cupcake business seeks sweeter deal for home bakers: DCS Cupcakes, now on hiatus, advocates for statewide 'Cookie Bill' (6)
- Greendale police report: Feb. 4, 2016 issue
- Greendale School District announces names of candidates for superintendent position
- Greendale's annual 'I Left My Heart on Broad Street' to be held Feb. 13
- Southridge Mall to grant scholarships for nearby high school seniors, now accepting applications