Oak Creek - Firefighters and police responded to a basement fire at a home in the 8500 block of South Parknoll Drive during the early morning hours Tuesday.
The homeowners called police at 3:23 a.m. after they woke up and smelled smoke inside their home, then heard the smoke detector sound a short time later. The couple located their two daughters, ages 8 and 6, and one of their two dogs and exited the residence.
Smoke was seen coming from the basement when emergency personnel arrived. After the Oak Creek Fire Department arrived, it was determined the was fire started by a pilot light in the water heater due to items in the basement.
The fire caused major damage to the water heater and basement. No official damage estimate was available at the time of the report.
No injuries were reported; however, paramedics attended to the children, who complained of slight smoke inhalation. The second dog later was found.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police Report: July 31, 2014 issue
- Greenfield police reports July 21 to 27
- Former Timber Wolf Preservation property has a new owner looking to sell, lease
- Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Referendum will decide voting sites in Greendale
- Greendale School District retreats from veterans memorial, for now
- Greendale Police Report: July 17, 2014 issue
- A room of her own
- Concerns about polling places in schools leads to referendum question
- Greendale Police Report: July 10, 2014 issue