Greendale — Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin has purchased the former Reader's Digest Association office building at 5400 S. 60th St. for $6 million.
The purchase of the 164,800-square-foot facility was finalized Jan. 10, said Pat Boelter, chief marketing officer for Goodwill Industries of Southeastern Wisconsin.
"We're excited now that it's a done deal," Boelter said. "We'll be working diligently to come up with a facility program … to meet (an) occupancy date in early 2015."
The building was once the home of Reiman Publications, which published several magazines, before being sold to Reader's Digest in 2002. The facility will now be used as an administrative building for Goodwill.
Goodwill approached the Planning Commission in August to discuss moving its headquarters and training center to the Reader's Digest building from its current location at 5300 N. 118th Court in Milwaukee.
In a previous article, NOW reported that about 200 people were employed in the Reader's Digest facility, based on statements made by Susan Russ, the company's vice president of global communications. The workforce included editorial and creative staffs, marketing teams and the Taste of Home test kitchen.
Boelter had estimated that the new Goodwill headquarters will employ about 500 people.
"We are looking for new space in the Milwaukee metro area of 65,000 to 75,000 square feet, which is in line with our current usage, and does not mean layoffs as a result of a move," Russ told NOW.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Village of Greendale takes steps to acquire property for possible veterans memorial site
- Greendale police report: May 28, 2015 issue
- YEA! Greendale student program seeks additional business partners
- Milwaukee County Historical Society to host Trimborn Heritage Weekend
- Greendale Marching Band to be featured in Colder's commercial
- Greendale students wage an artful war
- Greendale police report: May 21, 2015 issue
- Greendale police report: May 14, 2015 issue
- Greendale police report: May 7, 2015 issue
- Spring into Greendale event to be held May 9