Greendale — Greendale High School will host its fifth annual benefit concert, Music to Feed the Hungry, Feb. 7.
The benefit concert, organized by a committee of 10 students, will raise money for the Hunger Task Force, a nonprofit organization that feeds Milwaukee's hungry.
"(Hunger Task Force) does a lot to recognize the need of people here," committee co-chairman Kirstan Brodie, a senior, said. "(Hunger) is a problem right here in Milwaukee; it's right in front of us, and there's just so much for us to do."
Brodie has been involved with the annual benefit concert since its 2010 inception, when she was in eighth-grade.
Previous benefit concerts have raised a total of $3,000 for causes ranging from relief in Haiti to making clean water available worldwide. This year's concert will be the second time the school has raised money for the Hunger Task Force.
"The concert is entirely student-run," Assistant Principal Mark Otto said. "All the ideas, food, auditions — that's entirely by them."
Auditions were held and 20 acts were chosen for the concert.
"It's nice that we can be creative with the event," said sophomore Adam Loeffler, who serves as the concert's event organizer. "We all just help out and get done what needs to be done."
This year, a spaghetti dinner will be served as well, Loeffler said.
"We're taking a big step forward with the dinner, and we're excited to see where (the concert) goes from here," he said.
If you go
WHAT: Music to Feed the Hungry
WHEN: 5:30 p.m. Feb. 7 (doors open at 5 p.m.)
WHERE: Greendale High School, 6801 Southway
TICKETS: $5, available at SeatYourself.biz/greendalehs
THE LINEUP: spaghetti dinner followed by performances
- Greendale police report: May 26, 2016 issue
- Greendale's Canterbury Elementary enters recycling contest to win new playground
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Race to the Parade fundraiser benefits Greendale marching band
- Greendale police report: May 19, 2016 issue
- Greendale police report: May 12, 2016 issue
- Greendale police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- Greendale police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- Greendale police report: April 21, 2016 issue
- Greendale to celebrate groundbreaking of new fire station