Greendale — Greendale High School students interested in cooking and art are in luck for the 2014-15 school year.
On Jan. 7, the School Board approved three new courses for the fall: ProStart Independent Study, Elements of Studio Art and Understanding the Arts.
"Offering students opportunities for a post-secondary experience while still in high school complements our district's strategic plan goals," Superintendent John Tharp said.
ProStart Independent Study is a one-semester online course designed to give students knowledge about foods. Coursework includes reading assignments, at-home cooking labs and a final exam that will is graded by a class supervisor.
Students participating in the online course will be eligible to compete in the state ProStart Marketing Competition held each spring. Students who complete two to four semesters of ProStart are eligible to take ProStart certification exams offered by Milwaukee Area Technical College.
Both Elements of Studio Art and Understanding the Arts are part of the Cooperative Academic Partnership Program, which offers courses taught by university-approved educators. Students can earn both high school and college credit through the courses.
Elements of Studio Art promotes two- and three-dimensional studio art media and techniques and also introduces students to historical art movements. Understanding the Arts delves deeper into art history.
Both courses are available for three CAPP credits from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.
"These new courses provide increased options for students to become familiar with the rigor and expectations of college-level classes while still in high school," Tharp said. "We appreciate the Board of Education's commitment to this experience."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown resumes plans for 2015 referendum for full-time fire department
- Greendale police report: April 2, 2015 issue
- Young Entrepreneurs Academy to pilot program at Greendale High
- Greendale High School educator, student recognized by Kohl Foundation
- Greendale police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Election Forum: Greendale trustee incumbents discuss TIF, veterans' memorial in pre-election questionnaire
- Greendale police report: March 19, 2015 issue
- Greendale School Board candidates weigh in on reasons for running
- Canterbury Elementary students take first place in State Battle of the Books competition
- Greendale police report: March 12, 2015 issue