Greendale — Greendale High School students interested in cooking and art are in luck for the 2014-15 school year.
On Jan. 7, the School Board approved three new courses for the fall: ProStart Independent Study, Elements of Studio Art and Understanding the Arts.
"Offering students opportunities for a post-secondary experience while still in high school complements our district's strategic plan goals," Superintendent John Tharp said.
ProStart Independent Study is a one-semester online course designed to give students knowledge about foods. Coursework includes reading assignments, at-home cooking labs and a final exam that will is graded by a class supervisor.
Students participating in the online course will be eligible to compete in the state ProStart Marketing Competition held each spring. Students who complete two to four semesters of ProStart are eligible to take ProStart certification exams offered by Milwaukee Area Technical College.
Both Elements of Studio Art and Understanding the Arts are part of the Cooperative Academic Partnership Program, which offers courses taught by university-approved educators. Students can earn both high school and college credit through the courses.
Elements of Studio Art promotes two- and three-dimensional studio art media and techniques and also introduces students to historical art movements. Understanding the Arts delves deeper into art history.
Both courses are available for three CAPP credits from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.
"These new courses provide increased options for students to become familiar with the rigor and expectations of college-level classes while still in high school," Tharp said. "We appreciate the Board of Education's commitment to this experience."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale's College Park Elementary named a 'School of Recognition' by DPI
- Southridge Mall to host sing-a-thon with Sophia's Heart choir for Valentine's Day weekend
- The Rock Snow Park to host snow tubing fundraiser for Greendale Marching Band
- Greendale police report: Feb. 11, 2016 issue
- Greendale High School holds first induction ceremony to new Athletic Hall of Fame
- Greendale cupcake business seeks sweeter deal for home bakers: DCS Cupcakes, now on hiatus, advocates for statewide 'Cookie Bill' (6)
- Greendale police report: Feb. 4, 2016 issue
- Greendale School District announces names of candidates for superintendent position
- Greendale's annual 'I Left My Heart on Broad Street' to be held Feb. 13
- Southridge Mall to grant scholarships for nearby high school seniors, now accepting applications