Greendale — Resident Tyler Schmidt has been charged with first degree reckless homicide for delivering drugs to his uncle, Timothy Stanczyk. The charge, a class C felony, carries a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison or a $100,000 fine.
According to the criminal complaint:
Stanczyk was found dead in a dorm room at UWM on Dec. 3 by what was determined as an overdose on a heroin and opiate mixture. Schmidt told police he and a friend left Stanczyk, his uncle, in the dorm room while they went for a cigarette. When they came back, his uncle was on his back and unresponsive. They dialed 911.
Schmidt initially denied giving any heroin to his uncle. His friend, however, said they got heroin from Schmidt's dealers and Stanczyk went unconscious after shooting up in the dorm room. Schmidt's friend said he urged him to dial 911, but Schmidt tried giving Stanczyk a remedy and then the two went outside to smoke cigarettes. He said when the two were done smoking, Schmidt shot up the rest of the heroin and threw the needles in a trash chute.
Police found the needles in the residence hall dumpster, which tested positive for heroin. They also reviewed residence hall video surveillance showing Schmidt, his friend and his uncle going into the dorm room elevator and Schmidt later running out of his room. He appeared upset and was swaying on camera when he returned.
In a police interview, Schmidt said he thought the heroin antidote would kick in by the time he was done with his cigarette.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown resumes plans for 2015 referendum for full-time fire department
- Greendale police report: April 2, 2015 issue
- Young Entrepreneurs Academy to pilot program at Greendale High
- Greendale High School educator, student recognized by Kohl Foundation
- Greendale police report: March 26, 2015 issue
- Election Forum: Greendale trustee incumbents discuss TIF, veterans' memorial in pre-election questionnaire
- Greendale police report: March 19, 2015 issue
- Greendale School Board candidates weigh in on reasons for running
- Canterbury Elementary students take first place in State Battle of the Books competition
- Greendale police report: March 12, 2015 issue