Greendale — Resident Tyler Schmidt has been charged with first degree reckless homicide for delivering drugs to his uncle, Timothy Stanczyk. The charge, a class C felony, carries a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison or a $100,000 fine.
According to the criminal complaint:
Stanczyk was found dead in a dorm room at UWM on Dec. 3 by what was determined as an overdose on a heroin and opiate mixture. Schmidt told police he and a friend left Stanczyk, his uncle, in the dorm room while they went for a cigarette. When they came back, his uncle was on his back and unresponsive. They dialed 911.
Schmidt initially denied giving any heroin to his uncle. His friend, however, said they got heroin from Schmidt's dealers and Stanczyk went unconscious after shooting up in the dorm room. Schmidt's friend said he urged him to dial 911, but Schmidt tried giving Stanczyk a remedy and then the two went outside to smoke cigarettes. He said when the two were done smoking, Schmidt shot up the rest of the heroin and threw the needles in a trash chute.
Police found the needles in the residence hall dumpster, which tested positive for heroin. They also reviewed residence hall video surveillance showing Schmidt, his friend and his uncle going into the dorm room elevator and Schmidt later running out of his room. He appeared upset and was swaying on camera when he returned.
In a police interview, Schmidt said he thought the heroin antidote would kick in by the time he was done with his cigarette.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale trustees rescind school polling place referendum
- Greendale Police Report: Aug. 28, 2014 issue
- Greendale announces new principal for Canterbury Elementary
- Greendale Police Report: Aug. 21, 2014 issue
- Greendale School Board OKs schools for general election
- Greendale School Board OKs schools as polling places for general election
- Greendale Police Report: Aug. 14, 2014 issue
- Greendale Police Report: Aug. 7, 2014 issue
- Greendale's Village Days starts Friday in downtown square
- Police Report: July 31, 2014 issue