Oak Creek - An alert off-duty security officer thwarted a shoplifting attempt at Pick 'n Save, 2320 W. Ryan Road, at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 18, and detained one of the suspects until police arrived.
According to the Oak Creek police log:
An off-duty loss prevention contractor for Roundy's was shopping at the store when he saw two men loading a cart with baby formula. The officer recognized one of the men as a shoplifting suspect from recent store alerts and immediately told the store manager. When the manager attempted to stop the men at the store exit, one, a 51-year-old Milwaukee man, pushed the manager back and reached toward his waistband. Fearing the man had a weapon, the security officer wrestled him to the floor and held him until police arrived.
Pick 'n Save employees locked the front doors during the incident for the safety of incoming customers.
The second man involved in the theft attempt is described as a stocky black man wearing a multi-colored plaid shirt. He drove off in a silver or tan Buick Century.
Officers discovered the 51-year-old man is wanted on a warrant for retail theft with the West Allis Police Department and on five warrants for grand theft in Florida.
- Canterbury earns two School of Merit awards
- Upscale apartments approved for Southridge site in Greendale (1)
- Greendale police report: June 23, 2016 issue
- New Greendale Public Library director announced
- Warrior Dash obstacle course comes to The Rock in Franklin
- Greendale police report: June 16, 2016 issue
- Four with 4.0 in Greendale High School's class of 2016
- Greendale police report: June 9, 2016 issue
- Edgerton Avenue project features sidewalks and wider road
- Greendale police report: June 2, 2016 issue