Oak Creek - An alert off-duty security officer thwarted a shoplifting attempt at Pick 'n Save, 2320 W. Ryan Road, at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 18, and detained one of the suspects until police arrived.
According to the Oak Creek police log:
An off-duty loss prevention contractor for Roundy's was shopping at the store when he saw two men loading a cart with baby formula. The officer recognized one of the men as a shoplifting suspect from recent store alerts and immediately told the store manager. When the manager attempted to stop the men at the store exit, one, a 51-year-old Milwaukee man, pushed the manager back and reached toward his waistband. Fearing the man had a weapon, the security officer wrestled him to the floor and held him until police arrived.
Pick 'n Save employees locked the front doors during the incident for the safety of incoming customers.
The second man involved in the theft attempt is described as a stocky black man wearing a multi-colored plaid shirt. He drove off in a silver or tan Buick Century.
Officers discovered the 51-year-old man is wanted on a warrant for retail theft with the West Allis Police Department and on five warrants for grand theft in Florida.
- Southridge Mall adding 5 new attractions
- 'Little Mermaid' swims into Greendale Community Theatre
- Greendale police report: July 21, 2016 issue
- Blood drive at Southridge Mall July 22
- Ordinance allows for split shifts for election officials in Greendale
- Greendale police report: July 14, 2016 issue
- Greendale police report: July 7, 2016 issue
- Greendale police report: June 30, 2016 issue
- Canterbury earns two School of Merit awards