Oak Creek - An alert off-duty security officer thwarted a shoplifting attempt at Pick 'n Save, 2320 W. Ryan Road, at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 18, and detained one of the suspects until police arrived.
According to the Oak Creek police log:
An off-duty loss prevention contractor for Roundy's was shopping at the store when he saw two men loading a cart with baby formula. The officer recognized one of the men as a shoplifting suspect from recent store alerts and immediately told the store manager. When the manager attempted to stop the men at the store exit, one, a 51-year-old Milwaukee man, pushed the manager back and reached toward his waistband. Fearing the man had a weapon, the security officer wrestled him to the floor and held him until police arrived.
Pick 'n Save employees locked the front doors during the incident for the safety of incoming customers.
The second man involved in the theft attempt is described as a stocky black man wearing a multi-colored plaid shirt. He drove off in a silver or tan Buick Century.
Officers discovered the 51-year-old man is wanted on a warrant for retail theft with the West Allis Police Department and on five warrants for grand theft in Florida.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale School Board Academy to be held for prospective spring election candidates
- Greendale police report: Nov. 26, 2015 issue
- Greendale trustees raise tax levy 1 percent, bump up budget by 45 percent to construct fire station (4)
- Greendale police report: Nov. 19, 2015 issue
- Greendale's first fire engine, which entered service in 1938, returns home (10)
- Greendale Marching Band holds fundraiser for parade trip
- Greendale Assessor's Office to photograph homes, businesses for 2016 study (2)
- Greendale police report: Nov. 12, 2015 issue
- Greendale's tree lighting ceremony scheduled for Nov. 27
- Santa Claus to arrive early at Southridge Mall this weekend