Greendale police said crossing guard Karen Ziglinski, 62, has been hospitalized after she was hit by a vehicle driven by an 87-year-old West Allis woman.
According to police:
Ziglinski was helping students cross at Northway and Arrowood Street at 8:29 a.m. Oct. 2 when the vehicle struck her. She had moved into the street to clear the way for children and the children had not yet been waved into the roadway. She was the only one injured.
She was taken to Froedtert Hospital with what police say are "significant injuries." The driver was issued a citation for failing to obey a crossing guard sign.
Greendale Detective Jeremy Vlaj, who remembers Ziglinski since his early days on the force 13 years ago, said, "Karen is a great lady and we definitely want to see her have a speedy recovery. I want to see her back out there because I know she's important to a lot of people."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale police report: Dec. 18, 2014 issue
- Greendale Community Theatre's 'Spring Awakening' to address teenage issues, self-discovery
- Greendale's 2015 budget includes 1.2 percent increase in tax levy
- Greendale police report: Dec. 11, 2014 issue
- Greendale police report: Dec. 4, 2014 issue
- Greendale police report: Nov. 27, 2014 issue
- Have a 'Dickens of a Christmas' in Greendale on December 5
- Greendale School Board to host special meeting for potential spring election candidates
- Greendale goes Emerald: High School Marching Band earns honors for Oz-based production
- American flags raised in support of veterans memorial to be removed during Greendale ceremony