Greendale police said crossing guard Karen Ziglinski, 62, has been hospitalized after she was hit by a vehicle driven by an 87-year-old West Allis woman.
According to police:
Ziglinski was helping students cross at Northway and Arrowood Street at 8:29 a.m. Oct. 2 when the vehicle struck her. She had moved into the street to clear the way for children and the children had not yet been waved into the roadway. She was the only one injured.
She was taken to Froedtert Hospital with what police say are "significant injuries." The driver was issued a citation for failing to obey a crossing guard sign.
Greendale Detective Jeremy Vlaj, who remembers Ziglinski since his early days on the force 13 years ago, said, "Karen is a great lady and we definitely want to see her have a speedy recovery. I want to see her back out there because I know she's important to a lot of people."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Former Greendale ball players propose renaming school district's diamond
- News & Notes: March 4
- Timber Wolf Preservation Society quietly goes out of business
- Police Report: March 6
- Kleefisch, Chandler praise Walker's record
- Greendale Chamber announces winners of its annual awards
- Police Report: Feb. 25
- Election 2014: Four will vie for village trustee posts
- Chamber recognizes Wheaton Franciscan, Staybridge Suites
- Police Reports: Feb. 18