Greendale - The new Walmart in the village will open its doors Jan 23.
The roughly 90,000-square-foot store, which has taken over the old U.S. Bowling Congress' site across from Southridge Mall, needs a few final touches before it's complete, a store official said this week.
Approved by the village in July 2011, the mixed merchandise store is slated to follow the chain's supercenter models, though in a smaller format, with an electronic and garden center alongside the grocery and smaller items.
It will consist of 40 percent groceries, making it the only grocery store in Greendale. The store's manager said it will be a good fit in the village.
"I think Greendale is a nice community that we wanted to enter in, and the community has been extremely supportive of Walmart," manager Jason Steffen said.
An opening in December would have been fraught with obstacles due to the holiday season's impact on several levels, including staffing the store, Steffen said.
He plans on hiring roughly 200 staff, many of which could be from Greendale, though Steffen said he will pick the most-qualified candidates wherever they live.
Much of the store's construction focused on environmental sustainability. The floors are comprised of recycled concrete, and the lighting is mainly power-saving LEDs, said Steffen, who added that he will be recycling all of his aluminum and plastic into cardboard bales for recycling.
Steffen, who has worked his way up from stocking shelves in the Manitowoc Walmart, has his sights on moving to Greendale, but is waiting for a better housing market before taking the leap.
- Greendale police report: May 5, 2016 issue
- Greendale police report: April 28, 2016 issue
- Greendale police report: April 21, 2016 issue
- Greendale to celebrate groundbreaking of new fire station
- Greendale 5K run/walk to raise awareness for kidney health
- Broadway star, Greendale native Sarah Pfisterer offers fundraiser concert for marching band
- Greendale police report: April 14, 2016 issue
- Volunteers needed to help spruce up Milwaukee County's historic Trimborn Farm
- Busalacchi defeats incumbents on Greendale Village Board (13)
- Greendale incumbents Slota, Kuzmanovic retain seats on school board