Led by Whitnall quarterback Joel Stave, who is currently attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison, a group of 10 football players from area high schools are making commitments to colleges for next fall.
Greendale has six players who have announced their college choices, including placekicker Andrew Brees, who earned NOW All-Suburban honors as both a kicker and wide receiver last fall and who was also all-state at receiver.
Brees will attend the University of Minnesota-Duluth, which went 15-0 for its second NCAA Division II championship in three years.
Selecting Minnesota State are Jordan Campbell, who was first-team linebacker on the NOW squad, and James Wilson, who was first-team defensive lineman on that team.
Noah Jankowski, a first-team center on the NOW unit, is headed to Concordia-St. Paul, while quarterback Ernie Valente is going to Robert Morris and offensive and defensive lineman Jake Bailen to Carroll University in Waukesha.
Those six are not the only ones from Greendale headed for college playing fields, as coach Rob Stoltz said four others are still undecided about their schools.
Stoltz is proud of this year's class. "We knew that these guys, coming in as freshmen, had high expectations," he said.
"There are (college) opportunities for everyone, but extracurricular activities help open doors for you, and when you put in a lot of work, those doors become more open."
For Oak Creek, defensive back Marwin Evans chose Rochester (Minn.) Junior College, while offensive lineman Rafael Saez and quarterback Kyle Veloz both picked St. Cloud State in Minnesota.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Oak Creek basketball girls believe they can be strong again
- Greendale's Carolyn Jungers nabs second place at state swimming meet
- Young Greendale girls basketball team facing multiple questions
- Sports correction: Nov. 13, 2014 issue
- Mistakes doom Greendale football team in playoff defeat to Wolverines
- Greendale's Carolyn Jungers set to swim in two events at state meet
- Greendale boys volleyball team reaches sectional championship match
- Football: Mistakes doom Greendale football team in playoff defeat to Waukesha West
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 3
- Second-quarter burst boosts Greendale football team past Burlington