Led by Whitnall quarterback Joel Stave, who is currently attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison, a group of 10 football players from area high schools are making commitments to colleges for next fall.
Greendale has six players who have announced their college choices, including placekicker Andrew Brees, who earned NOW All-Suburban honors as both a kicker and wide receiver last fall and who was also all-state at receiver.
Brees will attend the University of Minnesota-Duluth, which went 15-0 for its second NCAA Division II championship in three years.
Selecting Minnesota State are Jordan Campbell, who was first-team linebacker on the NOW squad, and James Wilson, who was first-team defensive lineman on that team.
Noah Jankowski, a first-team center on the NOW unit, is headed to Concordia-St. Paul, while quarterback Ernie Valente is going to Robert Morris and offensive and defensive lineman Jake Bailen to Carroll University in Waukesha.
Those six are not the only ones from Greendale headed for college playing fields, as coach Rob Stoltz said four others are still undecided about their schools.
Stoltz is proud of this year's class. "We knew that these guys, coming in as freshmen, had high expectations," he said.
"There are (college) opportunities for everyone, but extracurricular activities help open doors for you, and when you put in a lot of work, those doors become more open."
For Oak Creek, defensive back Marwin Evans chose Rochester (Minn.) Junior College, while offensive lineman Rafael Saez and quarterback Kyle Veloz both picked St. Cloud State in Minnesota.
- John Rech
- Greendale baseball team pulls out three gritty victories to hold Woodland West lead
- Greendale's Thomson bounces back from bad round, moves to up to earn state medal
- Greendale baseball team's winning streak ended by New Berlin West in 11 innings
- Nerves hurt chances for Greendale's Rudd at state track meet
- Nate Thomson, Greendale boys golf team come in second in Woodland Conference Tournament
- Greendale's Magner takes up soccer, later turns in Hall of Fame career at Edgewood College
- Johnson, Greendale softball team shut down South Milwaukee in Woodland game
- Greendale boys golf team overcomes weather, field to capture Franklin Invitational crown
- Returning state runner-up Nate Thomson leads talented Greendale boys golf team
- Greendale boys basketball team enjoyed another high-powered, fun season