Greendale - Victories in five of seven flights gave the Greendale boys tennis team the Woodland Conference championship on May 17.
Winning were Will Kivlin at second singles, Corey Bett at third singles, Austin Lasch at fourth singles, the second doubles team of Bradley Guendel and Brandon Cook and the third doubles unit of Ryan Kuzmanovic and Matthew Bemis.
Kivlin downed Ethan Hien of St. Thomas More, 6-0, 6-2, in his final match, while Bett topped Ryan Deck of St. Francis, 6-0, 3-0, retired; Lasch defeated Allen Kang of Shorewood, 6-2, 6-4; Guendel and Cook defeated a Wauwatosa West team, 6-4, 6-2; and Kuzmanovic and Bemis toppled a squad from New Berlin Eisenhower, 7-5, 6-1.
At first singles, Matt Grieshop finished third, defeating Peter Jaeger of St. Thomas More in the third-place match, and at first doubles, Brandon Guendel and Kenan Goyette was fifth.
The Panthers tallied 48 points to win the team crown.
They also dropped a 5-2 dual meet to Southeast Conference champion Franklin on May 14. Winners were Grieshop (3-6, 6-4, 6-1) and Kivlin and Bett at first doubles (6-3, 6-3).
The Panthers played in a WIAA Division 1 sectional tournament on Wednesday at Brookfield Central and qualifiers will go to the state tournament next weekend in Madison.
- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SportsShorts: May 16
- Mentkowski second in dash for Whitnall
- Heller, Jankowski claim Woodland Conference track titles
- OUR TAKE
- Oak Creek boys track and field team use balance to take Southeast Relays title
- SportsShorts: May 9
- Franklin softball team shows heart, rallies to beat Oak Creek
- Behind Thomas, impressive Franklin girls dominate SEC relay meet
- Jankowski paces GHS discus team to third
- Franklin golfers hit new heights, set two new school records