Greendale - Already this season, Greendale's boys volleyball team has made some history.
The Panthers advanced to the championship match of the West Allis Central Invitational for the first time ever on Saturday. They went on to place second, losing to Brookfield Central, 20-12, 20-17, in the final.
Greendale began pool play by splitting two games with Racine St. Catherine's, 16-20, 20-15, then won out in the pool, defeating Fort Atkinson, 20-12, 20-12, and West Allis Central, 20-7, 20-12.
Finishing with a 5-1 mark, the Panthers won their pool and qualified for the championship bracket, where they took on Madison West in the semifinal. They won that match, 20-16, 20-18, to advance to the title match.
The Greendale junior varsity was defending its tournament crown but was knocked out by Brookfield Central and finished third.
The Central tourney continued a strong season start for Greendale, which beat South Milwaukee, 25-22, 25-23, 25-17, Sept. 12.
Senior Joe Grabowski totaled 15 kills and sophomore Jordan Hoppe added nine. Hoppe also had five service aces and senior Justin Povlick added four aces.
"We were anchored by solid passing and led offensively by Grabowski and Hoppe," head coach Zak Hennessy said.
Greendale improved to 1-1 in Woodland Conference duals, after a 25-22, 25-16, 25-21 loss to Pius XI Sept. 10.
Earlier this month, the Panthers lost in Gold Bracket play at the Racine Park Invitational.
They took second in pool play, beating Park and Waukesha South and losing to Wauwatosa East, to make the Gold Division. They faced Pius XI, which is becoming somewhat of a nemesis, and lost, 21-8, 19-21, 15-5.
After taking on Shorewood on Wednesday, Greendale will compete at the Hartland Arrowhead Invitational at 9 a.m. Saturday, then host Wauwatosa West at 6:30 p.m. Monday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale girls basketball team hopes eight players are enough for 2015-16 season
- Pulizos takes turn as senior leader for Greendale boys basketball team
- Sports Note: Nov. 19, 2015
- Greendale's Jungers caps brilliant swimming career with WIAA state championship
- Girls volleyball: Greendale's remarkable girls volleyball season ends in state quarterfinal
- Greendale's Jungers, Homontowski off to state swimming meet
- Girls volleyball: Greendale girls volleyball team gets past nemesis Muskego, advances to WIAA state tournament
- Football: Mistakes, Wilmot quarterback A.J. Frisby hurt Greendale in WIAA football playoff defeat
- Greendale girls volleyball team captures Woodland Conference Tournament championship
- Greendale football team falls to rival Greenfield in Woodland Conference championship contest