Greendale's Jungers reaches state swim podium twice
Freshman also set pair of school records
Greendale - Carolyn Jungers ended the 2012 high school swimming season the way she began it - by setting records.
At Friday's WIAA Division 2 state meet, Jungers broke both of the Greendale school records she had set earlier this season.
She swam the 200 individual medley in 2 minutes, 8.49 seconds and the 100 breaststroke in 1:06.51 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Natatorium.
Jungers dropped three seconds from her previous best in the 200 IM and 2½ seconds in the breaststroke.
The freshman also placed fifth in both events, which met her pre-state goal of finishing in the top six and claiming a spot on the awards podium.
"There was a lot of great competition in her events," her mother Mary said. "In fact, the breaststroke had some of the best times in WIAA history."
The winner, Rachel Munson of Shorewood, and the state runner-up, Samantha Senczyszyn of Grafton, both competed at the United States Olympic Trials last summer in the breaststroke. At state, Munson posted 1:01.37 and Senczyszyn 1:03.5, both state records.
The top six finishers in the breaststroke are all underclassmen, so the event should be strong again next season.
Jungers was named to the All-State honorable mention team for the season and will soon resume practicing with her club squad.
Her efforts gave Greendale 28 points for 21st place in the state meet, which was won by Shorewood's 255 points.
The Panthers finished the season with just four seniors, including Carolyn's sister Kate. They return a good deal of talent next year, with sophomores Abby Vey and Caroline Rowe and juniors Lizzy Pekar and Megan Elliot all returning, along with Carolyn Jungers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: Dec. 5
- Ringelbergs a winning team for Greendale football
- Greendale trio attains All-Suburban honors
- Optimism runs high for Greendale boys basketball team
- Basketball: I played at state: Ashley Imperiale
- Work ethic, leadership key Greendale girls basketball
- Greendale handed stunning state football defeat
- Greendale passing play makes state history
- Social media story: Division 3 prep football state title game: Greendale vs. Monona Grove
- Jungers earns all-state swim honors for Greendale girls