Greendale - Mistakes hurt the Greendale boys basketball team in a 59-57 loss to Hartford as the 2012-13 season opened on Friday night.
"The difference was our turnovers," said first-year head coach Ryan Johnsen, "and the fact that they (the Orioles) scored too many points off them."
Still, the Panthers stayed close for the entire game, which Johnsen said went back and forth all evening.
Hartford was up 29-25 at the half and 46-38 after three periods before the Panthers rallied in the fourth. They trailed by five in the closing minute before Jordan Perez nailed a 3-point field goal to make the final margin two points.
Perez finished with a game-high 23 points despite battling foul trouble for most of the game.
"He actually played about two quarters total," Johnsen said. "He was phenomenal on the offensive end."
Also for Greendale, Cameron Rowe added 10 points and Josh Michaels eight, with a pair of 3-point goals.
Hartford showed good balance, placing five players between 11 and eight points, led by Evan Laird's 11.
Greendale opened Woodland Conference action on Nov. 20 at South Milwaukee and will visit rival Greenfield at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 27.
The Hustlin' Hawks, who return several starters from last season, started their year on Tuesday against Shorewood and will play at West Bend East on Saturday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale tops Greenfield, claims Woodland girls volleyball title
- Greendale outlasts Tosa East to secure WIAA regional soccer title
- 12 years in making, G'town football team shares NSC title
- Greendale wears down Rockets, captures Woodland football championship
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Football: Poll: Will Greendale or South Milwaukee win in Week 9 matchup?
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Greendale boys soccer team clinches share of second place in Woodland
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7
- Greendale football team continues to roll through Woodland opponents