Mitchell Brees of Greendale knew just what he was trying to do at the plate in a clutch situation Tuesday evening.
"I was just trying to make contact and I was hoping any way I could to get a hit," Brees said.
He was up with runners on second and third and two outs in the bottom of the 10th inning, with his team locked in a scoreless battle with West Allis Central in the WIAA summer baseball playoffs.
Brees then delivered a sharp single to center field to plate Ben Moore, who had led off the inning with a single, and give the Panthers a thrilling and exhausting 1-0 victory in a regional semifinal contest at The Rock complex in Franklin.
"It was a curveball," Brees said. "It just hung a little bit, and I hit it right up the middle."
Greendale head coach Brian Johnsen said, "Brees got the big hit, and that's what it was going to come down to. That was just an outstanding ballgame, and I feel very fortunate that Brees came up with the big hit."
The hit ended a tense pitcher's duel. For Greendale, Zack Henderson worked 6 1/3 innings, escaping bases-loaded jams in the first and sixth, with Ty Ramirez finishing on the hill.
"Henderson just did a tremendous job of battling," Johnsen said, "and Ty came in and picked up right where he left off. He threw strikes and did a phenomenal job."
Most of Central's pitching was done by Michael Manlick, although Josh Kopplin ended up with the loss in the 10th.
"I can't give (Manlick) enough credit for hitting his locations," Johnsen said. "He is truly a pitcher."
Greendale improved to 13-15 on the season and will visit New Berlin West at 5 p.m. Friday in a regional title game. The Panthers lost a pair of 8-5 contests to West during the regular season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale baseball team goes through ups, downs in busy week
- Big innings help boost Greendale baseball team to Woodland victories
- Boys golf: Martin Luther takes runner-up trophy in Division 3 state golf
- Greendale's Thomson just misses individual state golf championship
- Sports Notes: June 18, 2015
- Ramirez strikes out 16 to lead Greendale baseball team past South Milwaukee
- Greendale girls soccer team's state tournament dreams end at hands of Whitefish Bay
- Girls soccer: Two goals from Greendale freshman end New Berlin West's year
- Greendale's Thomson near lead at halfway point of WIAA Division 1 State Golf Tournament
- Greendale's Bemis, Kuzmanovic qualify for WIAAA state tennis tournament