A quartet of runners placed in the top 15 as the Greendale boys cross country team won the season-opening Palmyra-Eagle Invitational on Aug. 29.
The Panthers tallied 62 points to top the field at Carlin-Weld Park and give head coach Corey Binnebose his first team championship in his career, which began in 2000.
Junior Joey Unrein came in third in 18 minutes, 6 seconds, followed by junior Bobby Lutz in fifth in 18:22. Junior Tommy Welch took 13th with 19:03 and senior Hail Kazik 15th at 19:12.
"Joey is fully committed to cross country; last year, he played soccer at the same time," Binnebose said. "Tommy is a first-year runner, and Bobby's improvement from last year was very impressive."
Senior Kyle Esau ran 26th (20:25), freshman Alex Weber 36th (21:47) and junior Henry Felerski 48th (23:53) to round out Greendale's effort.
"They learned who they can run with and how hard they can run," Binnebose said. "They have a long ways to go but this was the kind of start a coach wants to see."
The junior varsity also won by two points as junior Dan Stoekl took the individual crown.
The Greendale girls finished 10th with 288 points.
Senior Natalie Burton led the way with 56th (20:25), while senior Shannon Spitzer took 62nd (21:31), senior Kacee Ochalek 64th (21:35), freshman Sophie Barutzke 65th (21:38), junior Amanda Moehle 69th (22:40) and junior Teagan Felerski 71st (23:07).
Greendale next runs in the West Allis Central Invitational on Friday at McCarty Park.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: Dec. 5
- Ringelbergs a winning team for Greendale football
- Greendale trio attains All-Suburban honors
- Optimism runs high for Greendale boys basketball team
- Basketball: I played at state: Ashley Imperiale
- Work ethic, leadership key Greendale girls basketball
- Greendale handed stunning state football defeat
- Greendale passing play makes state history
- Social media story: Division 3 prep football state title game: Greendale vs. Monona Grove
- Jungers earns all-state swim honors for Greendale girls