The New Berlin Eisenhower boys basketball team is still perfect at 8-0 — and what some thought would be a challenge turned out to be a rather leisurely Friday night.
The Lions used 12 shots from 3-point range to surge past visiting Greendale, 75-43, in a Woodland Conference West Division showdown.
Half of the bombs from downtown came from Drake University-bound senior Reed Timmer, who finished with a game-high 37 points.
After a nearly whistleless first quarter, the Lions led 11-8, but a 29-point explosion in the second quarter helped them secure a 41-19 halftime lead. Ike coasted from there, steadily padding a lead that reached 34.
The Lions also impressed defensively, where they held Greendale standout Jordan Perez to 17 points — a slow night by his standards. David Pulizos also reached double figures for Greendale with 10 points.
"Perez is just a special player; he's phenomenal," Lions head coach Dave Scheidegger said. "I mean he's really the real deal. You can't stop a guy like that. You can hope to slow him down a bit, and maybe that's what we did."
On Greendale's side, it was a humbling, tip-your-cap kind of night.
"Timmer's a great player, and that's what great players do," Greendale head coach Ryan Johnsen said. "And once some of their other guys get going, they're a tough team that gets very difficult to stop. You have to give them credit."
While Ike sits atop the Woodland West, Greendale is second at 5-2, 6-2 overall.
The Panthers had beaten New Berlin West 63-44 on Dec. 17 behind 27 points from Perez, 15 by Pulizos and nine by Josh Michaels.
They get back on the court Saturday against Plymouth at the WBY Shootout at Concordia University.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale football team avoids letdown, rolls past Eisenhower 41-14
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Josh Ringelberg spurs Greendale football team past Pewaukee, 37-7
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Greendale cross country teams begin season with fifth at Shorewood
- Greendale spoils Franklin football dedication, 31-14
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Football: Poll: Will Greendale or Franklin win in Week 2 matchup?
- Greendale boys soccer team off to unbeaten start
- Football: Ringelberg helps Greendale football team rally past Bulldogs in opener