Greendale girls basketball team digs deep to beat Tosa West
Panthers square record at 6-6
Back-to-back games on consecutive nights can test the mettle of NBA teams, much less high school squads.
The Greendale girls basketball team had to take on Wauwatosa West on Jan. 14 in a makeup game, just one night after a grueling overtime victory over West Allis Hale.
"We were coming off the overtime win on Monday, and that was a very physical game," head coach Julie Hahm said. "We (the coaches) were concerned that the girls would be tired, and our concerns were correct."
The Panthers indeed struggled for much of the game against Tosa West, but they came alive in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Trojans 19-10 for a 48-42 victory.
"(Early in the game), on offense, we weren't making the defenders move very much, so we had trouble finding ways to score," Hahm said. "On defense, we weren't as intense as we can be.
"Going into the fourth quarter, a lot of that changed. For the second night in a row, the girls dug deep, came together and found a way to win."
Ellen Davis tallied five points in the final period and made two steals, including one which she took the length of the court for a layup. She finished with seven points and four steals.
Emily Perszyk led Greendale with 20 points, including a trio of 3-pointers, while Natalie Burton, Maggie Bowen and Taite Kurzka each had five points.
Burton tallied three assists, Kurzka seven rebounds and Sarah Belanger three assists and two steals.
"In the last three games, we have had seven players contribute to the scoring," the coach said. "Each player is starting to figure out what her role is and how she can best play it, and the team is playing well because of it."
Greendale hit six shots from 3-point range and connected on 12 of 13 free throws for the contest.
The victory boosted the Panthers to 6-6 on the season, which doubles their victory total of last year.
Greendale welcomes Tosa West for another game at 7:30 p.m. Friday, then travels to Pius XI at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Franklin football team emphatic in 37-0 rout of area rival Greendale
- Greendale girls tennis team finishes 1-3 in tough Brookfield East tourney
- Greendale football team loses lead, game to perennial power Menomonie
- Greendale football team tries to overcome personnel losses, keep winning
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: Greendale Panthers
- Sabinash, Ramirez keep Greendale baseball team on winning path
- Greendale resident Bosko Sarenac inducted into two state swimming halls of fame
- Greendale baseball team rallies after slow start, puts together another successful season
- OC's Turchin two-run double rallies Knights to 2-1 win over Greendale
- Greendale baseball team finishes second in Woodland Conference Tournament