Jankowski tops Greendale's girls track and field returnees
Panthers boast upperclass strength
Junior Abby Jankowski leads a group of strong returnees for the 2014 Greendale girls track and field team.
Jankowski is a two-time WIAA state qualifier in the discus and also excels in the shot put.
"Abby will give us big points in the shot and discus," first-year head coach Chris Servais said.
Other key returnees include senior Paige Delfish and junior Megan Grambling in the hurdles, seniors Nikki Price and Kacee Ochalek and juniors Lea Lassoued, Keanna McCormick and Abbie Scheidt in the sprints and sophomores Hannah Polenske and Taylor Wilson in the distance events.
Mix of experience, youth
"We have some good depth in the 200 and 400-meter runs," Servais said. "We should be strong in relays, where we get to showcase that depth a little more."
Servais believes he has a good mixture of experience and youth, adding, "We return a solid nucleus of juniors and seniors, and our freshman class is very good.
"We are hopeful we will get a few surprise performances when the meets start."
Greendale opened by taking 12th place with six points in the Peter Rempe Cardinal Relays Saturday at Waukesha South.
Jankowski posted the top individual effort in the shot put with 36 feet-81/2 inches, but the team did not score.
The Panthers' 800 sprint medley took sixth (2 minutes, 37.4 seconds), while the 4x240 unit was seventh (2:32.96) and the 4x800 group eighth (12:06.55).
Greendale competes in the Woodland Conference West Division Indoor Meet at 4 p.m. Tuesday at Pius XI High School.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestling squad holds its own against elite foes
- Greendale girls basketball team rallies past Greenfield in WC action
- All-Suburban Player of the Year: From the archive: Low profile, big impact from Brunner
- All-Suburban Player of the Year: From the archive: Hennessy led Greendale's high-octane attack
- Greendale's Josh Ringelberg leaves strong mark on state football
- Greendale football team boasts standouts on both sides of the ball
- Greendale girls basketball team falls to Franklin, Fort Atkinson
- Big third quarter lifts Greendale boys basketball team past Waterford
- Greendale football team reflects on another dominating campaign
- Greendale girls basketball team earns split in season-opening tourney