Garrison Bunker, Bobby Lutz, Joey Unrein and Tommy Welch teamed to win the 4x800-meter relay in 9 minutes, 0.9 seconds for the Greendale boys track and field team at the Woodland Conference West Division Indoor Meet on April 8.
"Garrison led off and kept us in the pack, Bobby moved us up, Tommy kept us in first and Joey took it home," said head coach Corey Binnebose. "It was a nice reward for their hard work up to this point."
The Greendale girls did not win any events but claimed a trio of second places, with those from Lauren Litzau in the long jump at 14 feet-11/2 inches, Abby Jankowski in the shot put with 35-83/4 and the 4x400 relay unit of Kacee Ochalek, Lauren Price, Abby Grant and Lea Lessoued in 4:45.65.
The boys 4x400 group of Bunker, Sean Fialkowski, Welch and Unrein came in third (3:59.18).
"They ran good even splits," Binnebose said. "It was a fun race to watch and see these guys work hard."
For the girls, Ally Bialo placed third in the long jump (13-111/2) and fourth in the triple jump (30-3 1/2). The 4x160 squad of Maddie Clopper, Alexa Unrein, Grant and Price came in fourth (1:38.43).
Taking fifth for the boys were Lutz in the 3,200 run (10:40.53), Gabe Kaliebe in the triple jump (35-81/2) and the 4x160 corps of Fialkowski, Mitch Garcia, Cody Kmetz and Kaliebe (1:24.29).
Claiming fifth for the girls were Ochalek in the 400 dash (1:08.91) and the 4x800 group of Marilyn Nazareth, Maddie Attewell, Teagan Felerski and Taylor Wilson (12:26.9).
Alexa Unrein took sixth in the pole vault (6-6) to close out the scoring for Greendale.
The girls tallied 43 points for fifth place, while the boys took sixth place with 22 points.
"We had a handful of meet entrants in that 7-10 (individual) position, which is just outside of the top six that scored," Binnebose said. "We need to break into the scoring column in a few more events at the next conference meet, which is the relays.
"Sixth place is not what we were looking for, and the boys would like to move up the ladder."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys basketball: Greendale boys basketball team falls to Rice Lake at WIAA state tourney once again
- Boys basketball: Greendale boys basketball team holds on to beat Wauwatosa East for return trip to state
- Boys basketball: Greendale boys basketball team rallies past Waukesha North in sectional
- Boys basketball: Josh Ringelberg gives Greendale boys basketball team big boost in regional victory over South Milwau
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers fall to rival Pewaukee in WIAA state sectional dual meet
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers advance four to WIAA Division 1 state meet
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers settle for second in Woodland tourney
- Greendale's Josh Michaels hits 1,000-point scoring mark in victory
- Josh Michaels' 40-point night lifts Greendale past Shorewood
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015 issue