Alex and Mary Merg of Greendale were named the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Student-Athletes of the Year.
Nominees for that honor must be seniors, own a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.25 and have three years of participation in athletics.
Alex majored in accounting and finance and posted a GPA of 3.52. He was on the dean's list for six semesters and the conference honor roll for three seasons.
He was also named the 2014 Max Sparger Scholar-Athlete of the Year for men's basketball and was a CFA Institute Research Challenge participant.
Alex helped the men's basketball team to national championships in 2012 and 2014 and was named to the all-conference defensive team this past season.
Mary majored in history and accumulated a GPA of 3.82. She was on the dean's list for seven semesters and the conference honor roll for three seasons.
She was named the 2014 Judy Kruckman Scholar-Athlete of the Year for women's basketball. After high school, she also won the Stephen T. Gavinski Scholarship.
Mary led the Warhawks to an NCAA Division III runner-up finish in 2013 and third place in 2014, as well as conference crowns in 2013 and 2014.
She broke the school's all-time scoring record with 1,329 points and was named first-team all-conference this season.
- Greendale baseball team pulls out three gritty victories to hold Woodland West lead
- Greendale's Thomson bounces back from bad round, moves to up to earn state medal
- Greendale baseball team's winning streak ended by New Berlin West in 11 innings
- Nerves hurt chances for Greendale's Rudd at state track meet
- Nate Thomson, Greendale boys golf team come in second in Woodland Conference Tournament
- Greendale's Magner takes up soccer, later turns in Hall of Fame career at Edgewood College
- Johnson, Greendale softball team shut down South Milwaukee in Woodland game
- Greendale boys golf team overcomes weather, field to capture Franklin Invitational crown
- Returning state runner-up Nate Thomson leads talented Greendale boys golf team
- Greendale boys basketball team enjoyed another high-powered, fun season