Alex and Mary Merg of Greendale were named the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Student-Athletes of the Year.
Nominees for that honor must be seniors, own a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.25 and have three years of participation in athletics.
Alex majored in accounting and finance and posted a GPA of 3.52. He was on the dean's list for six semesters and the conference honor roll for three seasons.
He was also named the 2014 Max Sparger Scholar-Athlete of the Year for men's basketball and was a CFA Institute Research Challenge participant.
Alex helped the men's basketball team to national championships in 2012 and 2014 and was named to the all-conference defensive team this past season.
Mary majored in history and accumulated a GPA of 3.82. She was on the dean's list for seven semesters and the conference honor roll for three seasons.
She was named the 2014 Judy Kruckman Scholar-Athlete of the Year for women's basketball. After high school, she also won the Stephen T. Gavinski Scholarship.
Mary led the Warhawks to an NCAA Division III runner-up finish in 2013 and third place in 2014, as well as conference crowns in 2013 and 2014.
She broke the school's all-time scoring record with 1,329 points and was named first-team all-conference this season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Josh Michaels' 40-point night lifts Greendale past Shorewood
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015 issue
- Whitnall/Greendale co-op wrestlers top Tosa, take control of Woodland race
- Michaels, Pulizos shine as Greendale downs St. Francis
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestling squad holds its own against elite foes
- Greendale girls basketball team rallies past Greenfield in WC action
- All-Suburban Player of the Year: From the archive: Low profile, big impact from Brunner
- All-Suburban Player of the Year: From the archive: Hennessy led Greendale's high-octane attack
- Greendale's Josh Ringelberg leaves strong mark on state football
- Greendale football team boasts standouts on both sides of the ball