Alex and Mary Merg of Greendale were named the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Student-Athletes of the Year.
Nominees for that honor must be seniors, own a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.25 and have three years of participation in athletics.
Alex majored in accounting and finance and posted a GPA of 3.52. He was on the dean's list for six semesters and the conference honor roll for three seasons.
He was also named the 2014 Max Sparger Scholar-Athlete of the Year for men's basketball and was a CFA Institute Research Challenge participant.
Alex helped the men's basketball team to national championships in 2012 and 2014 and was named to the all-conference defensive team this past season.
Mary majored in history and accumulated a GPA of 3.82. She was on the dean's list for seven semesters and the conference honor roll for three seasons.
She was named the 2014 Judy Kruckman Scholar-Athlete of the Year for women's basketball. After high school, she also won the Stephen T. Gavinski Scholarship.
Mary led the Warhawks to an NCAA Division III runner-up finish in 2013 and third place in 2014, as well as conference crowns in 2013 and 2014.
She broke the school's all-time scoring record with 1,329 points and was named first-team all-conference this season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale boys golf team captures Woodland Conference mega-mini meet
- Greendale boys golf team surges to first place in Woodland West division
- Greendale softball team continues winning ways, takes second at Cudahy tournament
- Franklin boys track team turns on the jets, wins North invite
- Greendale's Abby Jankowski sets school record in discus at Union Grove meet
- Price to lead Wauwatosa West boys tennis team
- Greendale boys basketball team puts together another strong finish in 2014-15
- Greendale's Josh Michaels puts together all-around game in helping team get back to state
- Boys basketball: Greendale boys basketball team falls to Rice Lake at WIAA state tourney once again
- Boys basketball: Greendale boys basketball team holds on to beat Wauwatosa East for return trip to state