Greendale baseball team finishes regular season with split of 4 games
Panthers open tourney on July 18
After clinching the Woodland Conference championship on July 7, the Greendale baseball team managed a split of four other games last week.
The Panthers wrapped up Woodland play with a 16-1 record by routing Shorewood 14-2 on July 10 and shutting out Wauwatosa West 5-0 on July 8.
They won their final 15 conference contests after their lone loss — a 6-4 decision at the hands of Pius XI on June 3.
In the victory over Shorewood, Zach Miller pitched a complete game, striking out 10 and issuing no walks.
Leadoff hitter Ben Moore went 3-for-3 and drove in a run; Zack Henderson tallied two hits and drove in four runs; and Sam Sabinash also collected two hits and brought in three runs for the Panthers, who racked up 10 runs in the sixth inning.
The Tosa West game was notable because Henderson struck out a school-record 17 in a complete game. He allowed just three hits and walked two.
Henderson and Sabinash each posted two hits and drove in a run.
Greendale was tipped by Kettle Moraine 5-4 on July 11. Michael Jankowiak pitched a complete game, striking out five and walking no one.
The Panthers fell behind 4-0 but rallied on crucial hits from Angel Ramirez, Ty Ramirez and Tyler Peterson.
Greendale dropped a wild 16-13 contest to Homestead on July 9. Tristian Pipp had two hits and two runs batted in, while Ty Ramirez belted a three-run home run among his two hits, and Moore and David Wood each added two hits.
The Panthers, who tallied 13 hits, made the game close with five runs in the seventh but fell short.
Greendale completed the regular season at 27-3 and will face either Whitnall or Franklin at 7 p.m. Friday, July 18, in a regional championship game.
The Panthers downed Whitnall 8-2 in their only meeting this season and swept Franklin 4-1 and 5-0.
The winner plays at Greendale at 11 a.m. Monday, July 21, in a sectional semifinal game. The sectional championship game is at 7 p.m. that day at Greendale.
-- John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Baseball: Ty Ramirez, Zack Henderson combine on no-hitter in regional contest
- Greendale basketball, baseball coaches enjoy honor of directing stars
- Greendale baseball team finishes regular season with split of 4 games
- Greendale baseball team shows its versatility in sweeping four games
- Greendale baseball team clinches Woodland Conference championship
- Greendale's Mergs honored as athletes of the year at Whitewater
- Greendale baseball success stems from chemistry, pitching, home field
- Greendale's Alex Rendon ties for eighth individually in state golf
- Greendale baseball team just keeps on rolling with three victories
- Sport Shorts: June 12