Greendale cross country teams begin season with fifth at Shorewood
Lutz, Wilson claim medals
Larger rosters, led by strong returnees, will help the Greendale cross country teams in 2014.
"We have a lot of new runners, and our rosters are the biggest they have ever been," said head coach Corey Binnebose.
The Greendale boys and girls both finished fifth in the season-opening Shorewood Invitational on Aug. 28, with the boys scoring 143 points and the girls tallying 124 points.
Senior Bobby Lutz led the way for the boys with 16 minutes, 53 seconds — a personal best by 16 seconds. Junior Taylor Wilson paced the girls with 22:30. Both runners captured medals.
"I start the season with hopes of returning runners beginning with a time near their PR, if not being able to run a PR," Binnebose said. "Bobby nailed it, and Taylor was close."
Senior Joey Unrein placed 30th (18:18), junior Austin Weber 33rd (18:32), senior Dan Gnadt 36th (18:52), senior Tommy Welch 38th (19:01), sophomore Nolan Rudd 54th (19:44) and junior Ryan Docter 64th (20:00).
"The boys pack was stretched out a little too much," Binnebose said. "I would like the top five within a minute of the first guy, and it was about 2:08 — too far apart."
For the girls, freshman Allie Coombs snared 27th (25:12), sophomore Sophie Barutzke 28th (25:15), sophomore Alexa Unrein 29th (25:16), senior Joki Potkonjak 30th (25:18), senior Teagan Felerski 31st (25:19) and junior Maddy Attewell 32nd (25:32).
"The girls pack was nice, but if they can drop at least 30 seconds next week, that would be great," Binnebose said.
Both teams run next in the Bulldog Invitational at 5:25 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5, at McCarty Park in West Allis.
- Greendale baseball team enjoyed another winning season, had fun along the way
- Greendale grabs second place in Woodland Conference baseball tournament
- Greendale baseball team brings home third consecutive Woodland Conference West title
- Greendale's Jankowiak, Tomaszewski toss no-hitter in victory over Wauwatosa West
- Greendale baseball team pulls out three gritty victories to hold Woodland West lead
- Greendale's Thomson bounces back from bad round, moves to up to earn state medal
- Greendale baseball team's winning streak ended by New Berlin West in 11 innings
- Nerves hurt chances for Greendale's Rudd at state track meet
- Nate Thomson, Greendale boys golf team come in second in Woodland Conference Tournament
- Greendale's Magner takes up soccer, later turns in Hall of Fame career at Edgewood College