Greendale cross country teams begin season with fifth at Shorewood
Lutz, Wilson claim medals
Larger rosters, led by strong returnees, will help the Greendale cross country teams in 2014.
"We have a lot of new runners, and our rosters are the biggest they have ever been," said head coach Corey Binnebose.
The Greendale boys and girls both finished fifth in the season-opening Shorewood Invitational on Aug. 28, with the boys scoring 143 points and the girls tallying 124 points.
Senior Bobby Lutz led the way for the boys with 16 minutes, 53 seconds — a personal best by 16 seconds. Junior Taylor Wilson paced the girls with 22:30. Both runners captured medals.
"I start the season with hopes of returning runners beginning with a time near their PR, if not being able to run a PR," Binnebose said. "Bobby nailed it, and Taylor was close."
Senior Joey Unrein placed 30th (18:18), junior Austin Weber 33rd (18:32), senior Dan Gnadt 36th (18:52), senior Tommy Welch 38th (19:01), sophomore Nolan Rudd 54th (19:44) and junior Ryan Docter 64th (20:00).
"The boys pack was stretched out a little too much," Binnebose said. "I would like the top five within a minute of the first guy, and it was about 2:08 — too far apart."
For the girls, freshman Allie Coombs snared 27th (25:12), sophomore Sophie Barutzke 28th (25:15), sophomore Alexa Unrein 29th (25:16), senior Joki Potkonjak 30th (25:18), senior Teagan Felerski 31st (25:19) and junior Maddy Attewell 32nd (25:32).
"The girls pack was nice, but if they can drop at least 30 seconds next week, that would be great," Binnebose said.
Both teams run next in the Bulldog Invitational at 5:25 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5, at McCarty Park in West Allis.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers fall to rival Pewaukee in WIAA state sectional dual meet
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers advance four to WIAA Division 1 state meet
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestlers settle for second in Woodland tourney
- Greendale's Josh Michaels hits 1,000-point scoring mark in victory
- Josh Michaels' 40-point night lifts Greendale past Shorewood
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015 issue
- Whitnall/Greendale co-op wrestlers top Tosa, take control of Woodland race
- Michaels, Pulizos shine as Greendale downs St. Francis
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestling squad holds its own against elite foes
- Greendale girls basketball team rallies past Greenfield in WC action