Greendale - Once again, the wrestling team pulled out a dual victory over New Berlin in the final match of the night.
The Panthers downed the combined squad, 39-33, in a Woodland Conference contest Jan. 9 when Jacob Rosen pinned his foe at 152 pounds in the closing match.
"It came down to the last match for the second year in a row, and we just needed a win," head coach Robert LaPlante said. "Jacob was our final wrestler and ended up getting a pin."
Jared Rosen, Tommy Welch, Ronnie Weber, Chris Jankowski, Cameron Anders, Sam Walton and Dustin Donald also won.
"We came out prepared and eliminated some of the mistakes we have been making in the past," LaPlante said.
Greendale then lost a 41-24 dual decision to Whitnall in a makeup meet Jan. 10, slipping to 2-4 in Woodland duals.
The Panthers tallied 172 points for second place in the Racine Case Invitational on Saturday.
Jared Rosen won his 106-pound weight class with a 3-0 record on a first-round bye and a pair of pins, including one in 31 seconds over Adrian Mercado of Kenosha Indian Trail in his final match. Rosen improved to 17-4 on the season.
Taking second were Thomas Welch (113 pounds), Erik Martinson (132) and Walton (145). Finishing third were Jacob Rosen (152) and Donald (160).
Coming in fourth were Brennan Mueller (126), Anders (138) and Christopher Phillips (220). Alex Rhode took fifth (heavyweight) and Chase Kendall sixth (170).
"We had a few kids out because of injury," LaPlante said, "but junior varsity kids stepped up and wrestled extremely well. All the kids have been working really hard in practice and focusing on improving every day, and it seems to be paying off."
Greendale is next in the Lake Mills Duals at 9 a.m. Saturday. The Panthers will then take on Pius XI and Cudahy/St. Francis in a double dual at 7 p.m. Jan. 23.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Josh Michaels' 40-point night lifts Greendale past Shorewood
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015 issue
- Whitnall/Greendale co-op wrestlers top Tosa, take control of Woodland race
- Michaels, Pulizos shine as Greendale downs St. Francis
- Whitnall/Greendale wrestling squad holds its own against elite foes
- Greendale girls basketball team rallies past Greenfield in WC action
- All-Suburban Player of the Year: From the archive: Low profile, big impact from Brunner
- All-Suburban Player of the Year: From the archive: Hennessy led Greendale's high-octane attack
- Greendale's Josh Ringelberg leaves strong mark on state football
- Greendale football team boasts standouts on both sides of the ball