Not even the introduction of traditional power Pius XI was enough to keep the Greendale boys tennis team from another Woodland Conference Tournament championship.
The Popes joined the Woodland this season, but the Panthers tallied 47 points to beat their 39 points in the tourney held last week at sites in Greendale and Greenfield.
Shorewood, which beat Greendale to claim the dual-meet title the previous week, wound up third with 33 points. Whitnall took fourth with 32.
Claiming titles for the Panthers were Ryan Kuzmanovic at second singles, Joe Grabowski at third singles, Matt Bemis at fourth singles and the third doubles unit of Matt Vraney and Logan Zastrow.
Kuzmanovic held the third seed and defeated Vinson Mulvey of Pius 7-5, 4-6, 6-3, in his singles final.
Grabowski also started from the third seed and downed top seed Noah Stemper of Whitnall 6-0, 7-5, in his final.
Bemis moved all the way up from the fourth spot and topped Sasha Velikanov of Shorewood 6-1, 3-6, 6-4, for his title.
Vraney and Zastrow owned the top seed and dropped the second-seeded Pius XI pair 7-5, 6-4, for the crown.
The first doubles team of Brandon Lasch and Austin Cook went in with the sixth seed but finished second, losing to top seed Pius in the final.
Greendale also posted a third place at second doubles and a fourth at first singles.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale boys add Woodland Conference Tournament championship to tennis honors
- Greendale boys golf team captures Woodland Conference mega-mini meet
- Greendale boys golf team surges to first place in Woodland West division
- Greendale softball team continues winning ways, takes second at Cudahy tournament
- Franklin boys track team turns on the jets, wins North invite
- Greendale's Abby Jankowski sets school record in discus at Union Grove meet
- Price to lead Wauwatosa West boys tennis team
- Greendale boys basketball team puts together another strong finish in 2014-15
- Greendale's Josh Michaels puts together all-around game in helping team get back to state
- Boys basketball: Greendale boys basketball team falls to Rice Lake at WIAA state tourney once again