Greendale's Heiden runs to 27th place in WIAA state cross country meet
Senior finishes with best time ever in school history
Greendale - Chelsey Heiden ended her fine cross country career at Greendale with a strong finish in Saturday's WIAA Division 1 state meet at Wisconsin Rapids.
Heiden finished 27th of 190 runners with 15 minutes, 11 seconds on the Ridges Golf Course.
"This was an exclamation point to an absolutely stellar career," head coach Corey Binnebose said. "Chelsey finished with the best time run at the state meet for a Greendale runner as well as our fastest time in school history for girls.
"She had two goals at state - finish in the top 30 and break 15 minutes. She got one and gave everything she had for the second."
Although she had run the course twice before, Heiden took a special tour of it to help her prepare for the race.
"As we walked the course prior to the race," Binnebose said, "we found the 1½-mile spot and figured out what time she needed at that point. She hit it dead on. The last mile is the toughest part of the race, and it slowed her down a little.
"She finished the race, and once she caught her breath and I told her the time and place, she had a big smile. That tells a coach that the runner is satisfied with the effort and result. I can't ask for anything else."
Heiden plans on running cross country in college, probably at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.
"Chelsey will definitely be irreplaceable," Binnebose said.
The only other Greendale varsity senior on the girls side is Megan Steiner, and the only boys varsity senior is Nico Gomez, so both teams should be strong again next season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale football team continues to roll through Woodland opponents
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Greendale girls nip West to capture Waukesha South cross country race
- Sweep gives Greendale girls volleyball team Woodland West championship
- Josh Ringelberg sparks Greendale football team past New Berlin West
- Football: Poll: Will Wauwatosa West or Greendale win in Week 6 matchup?
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Brown Deer inducts 16 into first Hall of Fame class
- Greendale football team avoids letdown, rolls past Eisenhower 41-14
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12