Greenfield/Greendale swimmers match strokes with Shorewood
Rivals tie in dual for a second time
Greendale - As a new season begins, the Greenfield/Greendale and Shorewood boys swimming teams are at it again.
The Panther-Hawks tied Shorewood, 90-90, in a Woodland Conference dual meet on Nov. 28.
The two teams have run literally neck-and-neck in their last three meetings. They tied twice in dual meets, and they finished one-two in the 2012 conference meet, separated by just half a point as Greenfield/Greendale tallied 453 points and Shorewood 452½.
"It is pretty amazing that the last three meets with Shorewood (have gone that way)," head coach Dale Schrank said.
The odd part is that the Panther-Hawks won 10 of the 12 events in the Nov. 28 dual, yet only managed a tie.
"To win 10 events and then tie the meet is usually pretty hard to do," Schrank said. "Our team is very strong on our front line and very weak on numbers (with 18 on the varsity roster). We are not a very deep team."
Sophomore Rick Perez and junior Ross Rybakowicz, both of Greenfield, were double winners. Perez captured the 200 freestyle and 100 backstroke, while Rybakowicz won the 200 individual medley and 100 breaststroke.
Junior Adam Fleischhacker of Greenfield won the 50 freestyle, while junior Shawn Lucchesi of Greendale claimed the 100 freestyle. Senior Andy Staszak of Greendale took first in the 100 butterfly and senior Liam Duffy of Greendale won the diving.
Greenfield/Greendale also won two of the three relay events.
The Panther-Hawks and Greyhounds met again on Wednesday in the Woodland Relays in what was expected to be another tight battle, with Schrank saying his team had to overcome its lack of depth to prevail.
Greenfield/Greendale opened the season with a 108-70 dual romp over Watertown on Nov. 27. Perez, Lucchesi and Rybakowicz each won a pair of events and Duffy won the diving.
The Panther-Hawks return plenty of swimmers with state experience. Perez, Rybakowicz, Staszak and Fleischhacker teamed for seventh place in the 200 medley relay, and Lucchesi also competed at Madison.
Senior Niko Mendelin was named the Panther-Hawks' swimmer of the week.
Greenfield/Greendale will compete in the Franklin Invitational at 9 a.m. this Saturday and take on Whitnall at the Greenfield Natatorium at 5 p.m. next Wednesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Greendale girls nip West to capture Waukesha South cross country race
- Sweep gives Greendale girls volleyball team Woodland West championship
- Josh Ringelberg sparks Greendale football team past New Berlin West
- Football: Poll: Will Wauwatosa West or Greendale win in Week 6 matchup?
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Brown Deer inducts 16 into first Hall of Fame class
- Greendale football team avoids letdown, rolls past Eisenhower 41-14
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Josh Ringelberg spurs Greendale football team past Pewaukee, 37-7