Heller, Mentkowski capture sectional crowns
Heiden, Jankowski also qualify for state track
Sam Mentkowski and Meredith Heller of Whitnall both won events at a WIAA Division 1 track and field sectional meet May 23 at Wisconsin Lutheran High School.
Mentkowski captured the boys 400-meter dash in 50.76 seconds, while Heller claimed the girls 300-meter hurdles with 46.42 seconds.
Both seniors advanced to the state meet in La Crosse, which begins this Friday and concludes Saturday.
Also advancing is freshman Jasmine Bickerstaff, who was second in the girls 100-meter hurdles at 16.03 seconds.
They will be joined by some neighbors, as Greendale also sends two qualifiers to the big stage.
Senior Chelsey Heiden advanced in the girls 3,200-meter run after taking second in the sectional with 11 minutes, 23.35 seconds and sophomore Abby Jankowski qualified in the girls discus with third place at 108 feet, 1 inch.
The Greendale girls finished 11th in the sectional with 32 1/2 points, while Whitnall was 12th with 25 points.
The Falcon boys tallied 10 points for 13th place and Greendale, with no state qualifiers, was 14th with nine points.
Greendale's Alyssa Docter tied for fourth in the girls pole vault (9-6) and Jankowski was fifth in the shot put (34-1).
Taking sixth for Greendale were Joey Unrein in the boys 1,600 run (4:44.45) and 800 run (2:03.7), Emily Perszyk in the girls 400 dash (1:06.4) and the 800 relay unit of Paige Delfish, Lea Lassaued, Abbie Scheidt and Nikki Price (1:51.59).
Coming in sixth for Whitnall were the girls 3,200 relay team of Robyn Roberts, Kim Hurst, Alyssa Woo and Jenny Bahling (10:32.26) and the girls 1,600 group of Bickerstaff, Roberts, Jenny Lawton and Heller (4:17.12).
The Greendale girls placed fourth with 801/2 points in a regional meet at South Milwaukee on May 20, as Jankowski won the shot put. The boys took fifth with 58 points.
The Whitnall girls placed eighth in a regional at Mukwonago with 431/2 points as Heller took the 300 hurdles. The boys were ninth with 24 points.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greendale Athletic Hall of Fame inductees, their fans share mutual appreciation
- Greendale boys basketball team falters down stretch, falls to New Berlin Eisenhower
- Greendale High School holds inaugural Athletics Hall of Fame Night on Friday
- Pulizos, Thomson boost Greendale boys basketball team past Shorewood
- Endurance, desire helping Greendale girls basketball team overcome severe numbers problems
- Greendale boys basketball team holds on to hand Pewaukee first loss of season
- Greendale boys basketball team holds off tenacious Franklin, 60-55
- Greendale boys basketball team handed first loss of season by New Berlin Eisenhower
- Greendale girls basketball team's 'super six' prevail in overtime against Wauwatosa West
- Greendale High School announces first Athletics Hall of Fame class