Heller, Mentkowski capture sectional crowns
Heiden, Jankowski also qualify for state track
Sam Mentkowski and Meredith Heller of Whitnall both won events at a WIAA Division 1 track and field sectional meet May 23 at Wisconsin Lutheran High School.
Mentkowski captured the boys 400-meter dash in 50.76 seconds, while Heller claimed the girls 300-meter hurdles with 46.42 seconds.
Both seniors advanced to the state meet in La Crosse, which begins this Friday and concludes Saturday.
Also advancing is freshman Jasmine Bickerstaff, who was second in the girls 100-meter hurdles at 16.03 seconds.
They will be joined by some neighbors, as Greendale also sends two qualifiers to the big stage.
Senior Chelsey Heiden advanced in the girls 3,200-meter run after taking second in the sectional with 11 minutes, 23.35 seconds and sophomore Abby Jankowski qualified in the girls discus with third place at 108 feet, 1 inch.
The Greendale girls finished 11th in the sectional with 32 1/2 points, while Whitnall was 12th with 25 points.
The Falcon boys tallied 10 points for 13th place and Greendale, with no state qualifiers, was 14th with nine points.
Greendale's Alyssa Docter tied for fourth in the girls pole vault (9-6) and Jankowski was fifth in the shot put (34-1).
Taking sixth for Greendale were Joey Unrein in the boys 1,600 run (4:44.45) and 800 run (2:03.7), Emily Perszyk in the girls 400 dash (1:06.4) and the 800 relay unit of Paige Delfish, Lea Lassaued, Abbie Scheidt and Nikki Price (1:51.59).
Coming in sixth for Whitnall were the girls 3,200 relay team of Robyn Roberts, Kim Hurst, Alyssa Woo and Jenny Bahling (10:32.26) and the girls 1,600 group of Bickerstaff, Roberts, Jenny Lawton and Heller (4:17.12).
The Greendale girls placed fourth with 801/2 points in a regional meet at South Milwaukee on May 20, as Jankowski won the shot put. The boys took fifth with 58 points.
The Whitnall girls placed eighth in a regional at Mukwonago with 431/2 points as Heller took the 300 hurdles. The boys were ninth with 24 points.
- Wisco to Rio: Miles from home: Greendale's Hilborn to compete in Olympics marathon — for Latvia
- Greendale baseball team enjoyed another winning season, had fun along the way
- Greendale grabs second place in Woodland Conference baseball tournament
- Greendale baseball team brings home third consecutive Woodland Conference West title
- Greendale's Jankowiak, Tomaszewski toss no-hitter in victory over Wauwatosa West
- Greendale baseball team pulls out three gritty victories to hold Woodland West lead
- Greendale's Thomson bounces back from bad round, moves to up to earn state medal
- Greendale baseball team's winning streak ended by New Berlin West in 11 innings
- Nerves hurt chances for Greendale's Rudd at state track meet
- Nate Thomson, Greendale boys golf team come in second in Woodland Conference Tournament