What is WI WINS? WI Wins is tobacco compliance check program that helps to reduce youth access to tobacco products.
What we are doing? We’re letting people know that 92.2% of tobacco retailers in the state don’t sell tobacco to youth under the age of 18.
WI Wins keeps youth from starting to smoke.
WI Wins reduces youth “hook-ups” to tobacco.
WI Wins encourages positive behavior.
Know the State Laws Regarding Tobacco Sales to Minors! (In Wisconsin, it is ILLEGAL to allow youth under age 18 to purchase tobacco products) Wisconsin WINS is a statewide program designed to reduce the rate of illegal tobacco sales to minors at any location including taverns, restaurants, resorts, convenience stores, grocery and other locations. Checks of establishments that sell tobacco products -including locations with vending machines- have started in Walworth County.
With the program, adults accompany youth who are trained to follow a specific protocol when checking an establishment. Entering a store or other establishment unannounced, the youth attempt a tobacco product purchase to see if the clerk or other employee would sell to them. If they are refused the sale, the establishment is rewarded and will be recognized in the media for their compliance with state laws.
Owners of businesses with cigarette vending machines are also reminded that the law pertaining to sales to minors includes vending machine sales. To comply with state law, cigarette vending machines should be restricted to areas where kids aren’t allowed without a parent or guardian.
“Better than 90% of the people in Wisconsin do the right thing by not selling tobacco to minors, and most don’t give tobacco to minors.”
The WI WINS Compliance Check Program, is administered through the Wisconsin Dept. of Health and Family Services.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Summer Performances at the Oak Creek Community Center
- New Products Now Available at Appliance Gallery
- Sky Zone Hosts First Responder “Thank You” Night
- OAK CREEK HISTORICAL SOCIETY
- American Cancer Society Seeks Teams for Relay For Life of Milwaukee on June 19
- Shop Franklin Public Library’s Bonus Book Sale
- Franklin Public Library Author Event with Dr. Raymond Wu