What is WI WINS? WI Wins is tobacco compliance check program that helps to reduce youth access to tobacco products.
What we are doing? We’re letting people know that 92.2% of tobacco retailers in the state don’t sell tobacco to youth under the age of 18.
WI Wins keeps youth from starting to smoke.
WI Wins reduces youth “hook-ups” to tobacco.
WI Wins encourages positive behavior.
Know the State Laws Regarding Tobacco Sales to Minors! (In Wisconsin, it is ILLEGAL to allow youth under age 18 to purchase tobacco products) Wisconsin WINS is a statewide program designed to reduce the rate of illegal tobacco sales to minors at any location including taverns, restaurants, resorts, convenience stores, grocery and other locations. Checks of establishments that sell tobacco products -including locations with vending machines- have started in Walworth County.
With the program, adults accompany youth who are trained to follow a specific protocol when checking an establishment. Entering a store or other establishment unannounced, the youth attempt a tobacco product purchase to see if the clerk or other employee would sell to them. If they are refused the sale, the establishment is rewarded and will be recognized in the media for their compliance with state laws.
Owners of businesses with cigarette vending machines are also reminded that the law pertaining to sales to minors includes vending machine sales. To comply with state law, cigarette vending machines should be restricted to areas where kids aren’t allowed without a parent or guardian.
“Better than 90% of the people in Wisconsin do the right thing by not selling tobacco to minors, and most don’t give tobacco to minors.”
The WI WINS Compliance Check Program, is administered through the Wisconsin Dept. of Health and Family Services.
- Greendale Resident Receives Alverno College Degree
- Martin Luther Softball Wins Milwaukee Lutheran Tourney
- Scouting fundraiser donated to Greendale Veterans Memorial.
- Spring Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- Greendale Alumni Launches Company
- Relay for Life at Oak Creek High School on Friday, May 20th
- Martin Luther Baseball in Driver's Seat
- Race to the Parade Registration Now Open For Run/Walk for Greendale Marching Band
- Last week for residents to apply for Milwaukee County Energy Assistance Program
- K3, K4, and K5 Open House Play Date