Earlier this month, College Park elementary school students in Greendale raised $160 in a “Hearts for Heroes” service learning project. Decorated paper hearts were sold for $1 each and the school’s Student Council Empathy Committee used the funds collected to purchase three Long Distance Bedtime Story packs for military families.
The bedtime story kits allow deployed servicemen and women to choose a book and record themselves reading it for their family. The College Park books are earmarked for a group of Wisconsin military being deployed in April.
“The College Park community is happy to help children in military families feel connected to their parents while they are away,” said Kerry Owens-Bur, principal of College Park. “We are pleased to help the parents stay involved in fostering a love of reading in their children.”
Long Distance Bedtime Story packs are part of the USO United Through Reading Military Program. For more information on the program visit http://usowishbook.uso.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 6th grade basketball team in in of players
- Holiday Folk Fair International Offers Advance Ticket Purchase Opportunities
- Paul Pennoyer Joins Bartelt as a Lead Carpenter
- Book Signing & Authentic Viennese Recipes at Library!
- VMP Manor Park Pumpkin Smash
- Franklin Lioness Fair Set for Oct. 25 at MATC's Oak Creek Campus; Proceeds Benefit MATC Scholarships
- "Identity Theft" presented by Educators Credit Union
- Honoring Our Heroes This Veteran’s Day at the Franklin Public Library
- Christmas in the Grove Nov. 7-8
- Relay for Life Luminaria Walk, Sunday October 19th at 6:00pm