Earlier this month, College Park elementary school students in Greendale raised $160 in a “Hearts for Heroes” service learning project. Decorated paper hearts were sold for $1 each and the school’s Student Council Empathy Committee used the funds collected to purchase three Long Distance Bedtime Story packs for military families.
The bedtime story kits allow deployed servicemen and women to choose a book and record themselves reading it for their family. The College Park books are earmarked for a group of Wisconsin military being deployed in April.
“The College Park community is happy to help children in military families feel connected to their parents while they are away,” said Kerry Owens-Bur, principal of College Park. “We are pleased to help the parents stay involved in fostering a love of reading in their children.”
Long Distance Bedtime Story packs are part of the USO United Through Reading Military Program. For more information on the program visit http://usowishbook.uso.org.
- Callen’s Tips for Transforming Small Interior Spaces
- Hoops for Awareness
- Martin Luther Baseball Sets Records, Earns Honors
- Local Soccer Player to Be Honored by Chicago MLS
- First Outdoor Movie of the Summer in Greendale
- Support for K9s Keeps "Brewing"
- Kesslers Introduces The Swan Collection of Rings, Pendants
- Lemberg Invests in Its Future Leadership
- Pick The Perfect Paint Color With Callen
- Second Annual Flag Day at The Berkshire of Greendale