Earlier this month, College Park elementary school students in Greendale raised $160 in a “Hearts for Heroes” service learning project. Decorated paper hearts were sold for $1 each and the school’s Student Council Empathy Committee used the funds collected to purchase three Long Distance Bedtime Story packs for military families.
The bedtime story kits allow deployed servicemen and women to choose a book and record themselves reading it for their family. The College Park books are earmarked for a group of Wisconsin military being deployed in April.
“The College Park community is happy to help children in military families feel connected to their parents while they are away,” said Kerry Owens-Bur, principal of College Park. “We are pleased to help the parents stay involved in fostering a love of reading in their children.”
Long Distance Bedtime Story packs are part of the USO United Through Reading Military Program. For more information on the program visit http://usowishbook.uso.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- LUNCHEON/PRESENTATION IN FERCH'S NEWLY EXPANDED SPACE
- Spring Market Returns to SM High School on April 26th
- THE STARR GROUP HIRES TAYLOR NYARANGI AS GROUP BENEFITS CONSULTANT
- Grand Opening Activities Highlight Importance of Photos
- St. Clare Street Fair
- Newman Civic Fellows Award for 2014
- Eat at Ruby Tuesday in Greendale April 17-19 to Benefit Second Hand Purrs
- Dulcie Schupe, Watercolor Artist at Tudor Oaks
- Have fun while helping others!
- St. Alphonsus Students Participate in STEM Career Fair