Over 100 Greendale Middle School Students and Staff Make “Cool Choices” in Green & Healthy Schools Program
Greendale, WI – March 27, 2014 – Over 100 students and staff at Greendale Middle School recently participated in an eight-week game promoting real-world sustainability and wellness activities as part of the Wisconsin Green & Healthy Schools (GHS) program. GHS is a partnership of the Department of Public Instruction, the Department of Natural Resources and the Wisconsin Center for Environmental Education. Cool Choices, a nonprofit promoting environmentally sustainable practices, has partnered with GHS to implement the custom sustainability online game for public and private Wisconsin PK-12 schools participating in GHS.
“Greendale Middle School students and staff really embraced the Green and Healthy Schools Cool Choices program taking over 700 actions in the game,” said Sara Windjue, Energy Education Specialist with Wisconsin Center for Environmental Education. “Some students played using smart phones, laptops and netbooks – the game was really successful in reaching students through the technology they use!”
“Greendale Middle School’s staff and students have set a great example for other Greendale school buildings and for school districts statewide,” said Kathy Kuntz, Executive Director of Cool Choices. “GHS aims to reduce waste, improve health and wellness, and increase environmental literacy in Wisconsin public and private schools. The Cool Choices game makes it fun and easy for participating schools to engage their students, faculty and staff more broadly.”
The Green and Healthy Schools program is free to Wisconsin public and private PK-12 schools. The next round of games begin March 31. Interested schools should visit ghswisconsin.org to learn more about joining GHS or contact Sara Windjue at Sara.Windjue@uwsp.edu directly about participating in the game.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- All You Can Eat Spaghetti Dinner - February 20th!
- 6 Tool u13 Baseball Looking for 1 more Player
- Phoenix weekly: Despite injury, Luke has no regrets
- You're Invited to a Lenten Concert & Fish Fry
- Franklin Public Library Acquires Gale Courses for Community Education
- Whitnall High School to Host National Wheelchair Basketball Tournament Feb. 5-7
- Bartelt Wins 2016 Regional Contractor of the Year (CotY) Award
- Backgammon Tournament Wednesday, Feb. 3!
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- Help Those in Need: Stan’s “Share-A-Pair” Shoe Drive Runs February 1 – 29