Over 100 Greendale Middle School Students and Staff Make “Cool Choices” in Green & Healthy Schools Program
Greendale, WI – March 27, 2014 – Over 100 students and staff at Greendale Middle School recently participated in an eight-week game promoting real-world sustainability and wellness activities as part of the Wisconsin Green & Healthy Schools (GHS) program. GHS is a partnership of the Department of Public Instruction, the Department of Natural Resources and the Wisconsin Center for Environmental Education. Cool Choices, a nonprofit promoting environmentally sustainable practices, has partnered with GHS to implement the custom sustainability online game for public and private Wisconsin PK-12 schools participating in GHS.
“Greendale Middle School students and staff really embraced the Green and Healthy Schools Cool Choices program taking over 700 actions in the game,” said Sara Windjue, Energy Education Specialist with Wisconsin Center for Environmental Education. “Some students played using smart phones, laptops and netbooks – the game was really successful in reaching students through the technology they use!”
“Greendale Middle School’s staff and students have set a great example for other Greendale school buildings and for school districts statewide,” said Kathy Kuntz, Executive Director of Cool Choices. “GHS aims to reduce waste, improve health and wellness, and increase environmental literacy in Wisconsin public and private schools. The Cool Choices game makes it fun and easy for participating schools to engage their students, faculty and staff more broadly.”
The Green and Healthy Schools program is free to Wisconsin public and private PK-12 schools. The next round of games begin March 31. Interested schools should visit ghswisconsin.org to learn more about joining GHS or contact Sara Windjue at Sara.Windjue@uwsp.edu directly about participating in the game.
- County Parks Offers Free Chess Camps
- Martin Luther Softball Advances with Regional Win
- Greendale Resident Receives Alverno College Degree
- Martin Luther Softball Wins Milwaukee Lutheran Tourney
- Scouting fundraiser donated to Greendale Veterans Memorial.
- Spring Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- Greendale Alumni Launches Company
- Relay for Life at Oak Creek High School on Friday, May 20th
- Martin Luther Baseball in Driver's Seat
- Race to the Parade Registration Now Open For Run/Walk for Greendale Marching Band