With warmer temperatures in our sights, it is a great time to think about bike safety especially the simple task of wearing a bike helmet. It is our goal here at the Heath Department to alert you to the need and provide some important statistics relating to this issue.
Per the National Survey of Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behavior study that was done in August of 2008, 50% of Bicyclists wear a helmet for some trips with only 35% using one all of the time. The Board of Health and Health department is asking Villagers to step up to make head injuries from bike accidents a low level statistic.
In 2006 (the latest data recorded) in the same study listed above 730 bicycle deaths where recorded where the participant did not have a bike helmet on. 37 deaths were recorded where the participant did have a bike helmet on. As you can see wearing a bike helmet is an easy way to possibly save your life in the event of an accident!
The final statistic provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety states that in 2006 88% of severe brain injuries related to bike accidents were prevented when the subject was wearing a helmet!
The Board wants you to be leaders in the Village by wearing a bike helmet each and every time you take a bike ride. Children learn by example, thus if you are wearing one, they will as well. Their designs have become much more appealing from earlier bike helmets and kids’ helmets feature cartoon characters and interesting colors.
With regards to children, be sure to check with your child’s health care provider as there are several programs sponsored by Children’s Hospital area where bike helmets are given to your child at no charge or a reduced fee.
The Greendale Health Department is also working on a program to provide this resource as well as helpful brochures regarding bike helmets and as always, we are open to your comments on the subject. We will keep you up to date on its developments and wish you a future of good health!
Health and safety,
The Greendale Board of Health
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Annual Easter Egg Hunt
- Greenhills Ohio Proclaims March 20th "Martin Luther Symphonic Band Day"
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- Open Enrollment for Franklin Residents
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING ART SHOWCASE
- Greenhills Ohio Declares March 20th Martin Luther Symphonic Band Day
- Greendale Education Association Comments on School Board Race
- Oak Creek Public Library Family Fun Night Fun With Food
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA
- LearningRx Spreads Word About Brain Injury Awareness