The Greendale Historical Society is organizing a six-day, guided bus tour of the village's two sister "Greenbelt Towns" also built during the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration, Greenhills, Oh. and Greenbelt, Md. The three planned garden communities are all listed on the National Register of Historic Places and unique social/cultural experiments built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in an effort to put people to work and provide low-cost housing relief during the Great Depression of the 1930's.
The deluxe motor coach trip begins in Greendale on Sept. 25, 2010 and will include five nights' hotel lodging and continental breakfast each day. The first evening in Ohio will include a reception dinner hosted by the Greenhills Historical Society followed by a grand tour of the town the next day and a ride on the Ohio River "Ducks."
Soon after arrival in Greenbelt, Md., the group will enjoy a tour of some of the lighted memorials in nearby Washington D.C. On Day Four, the Greenbelt Historical Society will guide the visitors on an in-depth look at their town with lunch provided. Another side trip to the nation's capital that evening will follow.
On Day Five the tour begins for home and will stop at the Flight 93 National Memorial in southwestern Pennsylvania before spending the night near Toledo. On the morning of the last day the Maumee Historical Society will open their Walcott House Museum Complex. The party will arrive back in Greendale on the afternoon of the sixth day.
The cost of the tour is $599 for members and $699 for non-members, based on double occupancy. A $100 deposit will secure a reservation. The Greendale Historical Society is planning many commemorative events in the coming months as the village approaches its 75th anniversary in 2013.
For further information please contact Kathleen Hart at:
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Great Decisions Series Week Two at Franklin Public Library
- Great Decisions Series Begins at Franklin Public Library
- All You Can Eat Spaghetti Dinner - February 20th!
- 6 Tool u13 Baseball Looking for 1 more Player
- Phoenix weekly: Despite injury, Luke has no regrets
- You're Invited to a Lenten Concert & Fish Fry
- Franklin Public Library Acquires Gale Courses for Community Education
- Whitnall High School to Host National Wheelchair Basketball Tournament Feb. 5-7
- Bartelt Wins 2016 Regional Contractor of the Year (CotY) Award
- Backgammon Tournament Wednesday, Feb. 3!