The Greendale Historical Society is organizing a six-day, guided bus tour of the village's two sister "Greenbelt Towns" also built during the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration, Greenhills, Oh. and Greenbelt, Md. The three planned garden communities are all listed on the National Register of Historic Places and unique social/cultural experiments built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in an effort to put people to work and provide low-cost housing relief during the Great Depression of the 1930's.
The deluxe motor coach trip begins in Greendale on Sept. 25, 2010 and will include five nights' hotel lodging and continental breakfast each day. The first evening in Ohio will include a reception dinner hosted by the Greenhills Historical Society followed by a grand tour of the town the next day and a ride on the Ohio River "Ducks."
Soon after arrival in Greenbelt, Md., the group will enjoy a tour of some of the lighted memorials in nearby Washington D.C. On Day Four, the Greenbelt Historical Society will guide the visitors on an in-depth look at their town with lunch provided. Another side trip to the nation's capital that evening will follow.
On Day Five the tour begins for home and will stop at the Flight 93 National Memorial in southwestern Pennsylvania before spending the night near Toledo. On the morning of the last day the Maumee Historical Society will open their Walcott House Museum Complex. The party will arrive back in Greendale on the afternoon of the sixth day.
The cost of the tour is $599 for members and $699 for non-members, based on double occupancy. A $100 deposit will secure a reservation. The Greendale Historical Society is planning many commemorative events in the coming months as the village approaches its 75th anniversary in 2013.
For further information please contact Kathleen Hart at:
- Meet Brewer great Bill Schroeder at Point After Pub & Grille!
- Milwaukee local graduates from Concord Law School
- Fire Fighters Urge Caution Near Fireworks on Independence Day
- Callen’s Tips for Transforming Small Interior Spaces
- Hoops for Awareness
- Martin Luther Baseball Sets Records, Earns Honors
- Local Soccer Player to Be Honored by Chicago MLS
- First Outdoor Movie of the Summer in Greendale
- Support for K9s Keeps "Brewing"
- Kesslers Introduces The Swan Collection of Rings, Pendants