Verizon Wireless and UNCF Announce Black History Month Essay Contest for College Scholarships
High School Seniors to Address How Wireless Technology Has Changed the World We Live In for a Chance to Win Scholarships Up To $5,000
MILWAUKEE – In honor of Black History Month, Verizon Wireless and UNCF—the United Negro College Fund—are offering high school seniors the chance to win one of 12 scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $5,000. To qualify for the contest, students must maintain a grade point average of 2.0, plan to attend a two-year or four-year college or university in the Fall of 2010, and currently reside in Wisconsin. The contest also includes residents of the following states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota or West Virginia.
“With the economic challenges so many families are facing, it is more important than ever to support students looking to gain a college education,” said T.J. Fox, president – Wisconsin/Illinois region, Verizon Wireless. “As a company, we embrace diversity because we believe it’s smart business and because it’s the right thing to do. We are excited to be able to help deserving students better prepare for the cost of their college education.”
The Verizon Wireless/UNCF Black History Month Essay Contest asks high school seniors to write an essay of no more than 500 words that addresses how the evolution of wireless technology has changed the world we live in. UNCF will review all the applications and score the essays, and the top 12 applicants will be awarded scholarships.
The awards are the following:
· First Place: $5,000 scholarship, netbook and $100 Verizon Wireless gift card;
· Second Place: $4,000 scholarship, netbook and $100 Verizon Wireless gift card;
· Third Place: $3,000 scholarship, netbook and $100 Verizon Wireless gift card; and
· Fourth through 12th Place: $1,000 scholarships.
“The 21st century economy runs on technology,” said Michael L. Lomax, Ph.D., UNCF President and CEO. “This contest is a great incentive for students to think about how that affects all our lives and to compete for help in paying for their college education. We thank Verizon Wireless for their ongoing support of UNCF and the aspiring young leaders who depend on UNCF for help in getting the education they need and our nation needs them to have.”
This Black History Month Essay Contest is one of a variety of educational and diversity programs supported by Verizon Wireless. With a diverse workforce of 83,000, Verizon Wireless drives workplace diversity by establishing programs to encourage the hiring and advancement of individuals from a wide range of backgrounds.
Students are encouraged to visit http://www.UNCF.org for complete details of the essay contest and to apply online. The application deadline is April 15, 2010. For more information, contact UNCF Program Services at (703) 205-3400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the Verizon Wireless essay awards, visit http://verizonwireless.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greenhills Ohio Proclaims March 20th "Martin Luther Symphonic Band Day"
- St. Alphonsus Students Participate in STEM Career Fair
- Greendale Special Olympics Raising Funds Through Polar Plunge
- Greendale School Board Academy Date Set
- UW-Parkside announces 2012-2013 Greendale graduates
- Greendale's Canterbury School Supports Kids With Cancer
- Greendale Students Get Ready for Summer Reading
- Explore Arts, Culture, and Diversity at TADA Festival
- High School Group Helps Middle Schoolers Break Out of Their Shells
- Greendale Students Compete, Win At Regional History Day Event